Anxiety and itching.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. Been really stressed for 8 months over a health problem that docs have diagnosed as a functional bowel problem. Anyway, I've had loads of symptoms such as thirsty, hungry all the time, diarrhoea, headache and feeling like my head is going to explode because of the stress. Back in November I started to itch all over my body. No rash or pimples to be seen. Blood tests are ok apart from raised alt that I already knew about (I have fatty liver). Do any of you guys itch because of your anxiety?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I itch because of my Psoriasis, my old Doctor in the fiftees used to call an itch like that was  blood out of order. Your Blood is fine, in the old days blood tests were not taken as frequently then. Life choices change

Possibly now I suppose it is Anxiety, could it be caused by your fatty Liver, I have no idea. If your GP considers it is Anxiety you need to accept that diagnosis

Sorry

BOB

• Posted

Yes sad it can be horrible.

I get stress hives...itchy, raised bubbles on my skin that can also be very embarrassing if people were to notice.

• Posted

Yes, I get itches on my lower legs, calf muscles, scalp and forehead sometimes. Also get some odd nerve stab pain on occasion and a stiff hot neck
  • Posted

Im always itchy when im anxious.. Usually on my legs hands and wrists. The wrists are the worst, i will pick my skin open if i dont pay attention.. Because this is mostly in your mind, i usually will put hydrating lotion on me every morning so that my mind kinda tells me its impossible to be itchy. I hope i explained that in a way that it makes sense.
  • Posted

Yes - many experience itches, especially (it seems to me) in the legs. But it can happen all over the body. I think it's more of a nervous habit than actual skin irritation. Sort of like biting your nails in a way. The anxiety will make you want to scratch in the same way it may make you shake your legs and fidget around. 

There are conditions that can cause this too, such as PsA or allergic reactions. If your GP has taken blood and said all is well, then I'd say it's anxiety. If it gets worse, or if you notice hives start to pop up, go back to doctor. You may have minor allergies

Best wishes! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.