Anxiety and mirena (IUD)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone experienced any unusual side effects from the mirena? Im 26 have had mine for almost 18 months never experienced Amy anxiety or anything in my life, since having this inserted I've had 3 bouts of anxiety this one being the worst for last few days constant aches pains and numbness all on left side foggy brain on edge constantly. Dr assures me this is all part of severe anxiety as tests show normal yet no hormonal tests have been done.. Dr keeps prescribing anti depression meds which I refuse to take I feel this is a cop out as I am not depressed I have no reason to be I have amazing family and friends who have been a massive support I am just wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues with the mirena? I have an appointment again with the Dr tomorrow but sick of being told it's not the mirena as it's not stated in their website as a side effect!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Dear Anxious25326

I don't know if I will be able to help, but I want to at least let you know that you are not alone, my daughter is 18 and stopped taking the pill Yazmin.  She has been off for 2 months now and has lost 15lbs (she is not a big girl to begin with), she is suffering with sever anxiety and depression, she is graduating high school and has had a boyfried for the past two years that she loves.  She now has no desire to go to college or is very unsure of her relationship.  She has missed so many school days and is a kid who rarely missed school.  She has a job for the past two years in a restaurant where I don't think she ever called in sick, but has gone in and had to leave so many times in the past two months.  We went back to the doctor who prescribed the bc and my daughter was told "its not your hormones" and offered her paxil.  I then brought her to my doctor who would not admit she ever heard of this but then offered her anxiety meds!  My daughter took the anxiety meds for about 10 days because she was desperate, but then realized it was going to be one more thing she was going to have to come off of and stopped.  She had some relief from the meds but they are so bad for you.  I am in the process of trying to find that right doctor and it may have to be a homopathic doctor as it seems the rest just want to hand out meds to mask the issue.  My advice to you, and I know it is not exactly the same as my daughters, is to find another doctor and to stop taking birth control.  My daughter experienced some mild side effects with the first two birth controls she tried, which were a low dose and that should have been the doctors sign that she is someone that can not do hormonol birth control.  Everything we have researched is that it is going to take anywhere from 3 to 6 months to get back to normal.  We have read countless stories about women experiencing these exact symptoms.  My daughter took this last birth control for only 3 weeks, but was on birth control for about 3-4 months.  You are not going crazy and there is something wrong and in my recent experience it is birth control.  Please keep in touch and I will to. 

• Posted

I had the Mirena fitted, 3 weeks ago now. Previous to this I had been off any form of contraception for the last two years. Before that I was on the pill which i had no end of trouble with. 

I suffered with really bad anxiety which started about 5 years ago when i was attacked, however, I have gotten much better at managing it and it only flares up occasionally now. 

I havent noticed any increase in my anxiety since i had the Mirena, however, my mood has been very very low and I have been very emotional and mood-swingy. Which is odd as my GP said that there is little hormones released and I would most likely not notice a difference. But i've really noticed!

On top of that I have been bleeding every day since and in lots of pain! (However, i think that is the Mirena coupled with my endometriosis). Either way im not a huge fan of the Mirena thus far, apparently it can take up to 6 months to calm down!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.