Anxiety and my bp

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi guys I have had anxiety and panic attacks now for over 3 years and been checked and doctors said I was fine it's just anxiety , I have been feeling good lately however I randomly checked my bp at a friend's house and It showed 137 over 97 which I freak out but the retested later and it showed 133 over 93 so again I freaked out and took it home with me and I was doing tests all day and majority of them was like 115 to 130 over 70 to 88 , just the odd one came back really high like 147 over 88 now I phoned my doctor and he said its fine however I don't understand how its high every now and then can anxiety cause this as its freaking me out thinking something something wrong with me , I am scared of the devices and worry about the numbers before hand , like if I have a beer to calm the nerves most I do is like 125 over 83 , but why would it be high on them couple of times I took it , is I anxiety ? and is it normal? I'm worried please help

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

blood pressures can fluctuate. Yours is not too high. Another thing is you’re not supposed to take blood pressure on the same arm too soon after you already took one. You’re supposed to wait at least 15 minutes because that can affect the reading if you keep checking your blood pressure without waiting.

you don’t need to keep checking it. Is as your anxiety increases so will your blood pressure. try to relax more and listen to your doctor. They have the experience and knowledge about blood pressure. they know when to be concerned about it.

I’ve had the same thing happened to me with my blood pressure and it spiked really high for no reason. But everything‘s OK it came back down. sometimes it just happens

• Posted

hi thank you for your reply , I know I need to trust the doctors but if its at up to 130 by like 85 plus , online it shows its high, I'm scared to even eat anything with salt thinking it will go sky high and somehow kill me , it does fluctuate but what happens if it goes really high one time surely that's dangerous or is it if its constantly high or something, sorry I don't understand much about this its just freaking me out big time

• Edited

Hi I'm no doctor but you sound like you have health anxiety. I would try and refrain from checking your BP as you are fuelling your anxiety by doing this and will just keep reinforcing the fear/anxiety cycle.

• Posted

hi there and thank you for the reply I do have health anxiety , and its because on the chart it says its high but they my doctor says its fine I'm really confused , I feel like I'm on cheeseburger away from a heart attack because of my blood pressure being high 😦 I'm only 10 stone and 28 year old, yes I smoke and drink with friends , but nothing majorly bad or anything and never had a problem before until I had panic and got told it was anxiety 3 yesr ago and now it seems like everything is so dangerous, it just scares me thag every now and then it's high when surely it should always be normal,

• Posted

just to keep upto date , I did one earlier and was 137 by 91 then 15 mins later was 127 by 81 , does this sound like anxiety or a high blood pressure problem ??? sorry I'm just so freaked out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.