Anxiety and nightmares

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been having horrible anxiety recently, not generalised but incredibly specific to spiders. I have frequent nightmares about them, I lie in bed at night hiding under the covers because I'm so convinced they're going to climb up my bed and onto me, any noise in the house or movement out the corner of my eye and I'm convinced it's a massive spider. I know it's completely irrational but I can't stop myself being terrified! It rarely happens in the day but can do if I'm not distracted by other things. Has anyone experienced anything like this, or knows what I can do about it? I'm on 25mcg Levo for Hashimoto's, have been for about three months. Thanks!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alice, I think it would be worth talking to your doctor about this. What you describe sounds very unsettling.
    • Posted

I have no medical expertise so I am likely to be wrong, but sounds a bit like mild psychosis. Having looked at the NHS website, this can happen if one is anxious or depressed - which are both symptoms of hypothyroidism - how are your thyroid levels? When did you last have a blood test? If it is psychosis it says the outlook is good if caught early. So do get it checked out.
  • Posted

Hi

I'm on the same dose diagnosed last Nov I was very anxious over the smallest thing but did have a lot of stress but feel calmer now as less stress and assume meds have worked I noticed I was having the odd bad dream.

I'm not as experienced as others on this site but might be worth asking your Dr for a blood test as you might need to Increase the dose.

Anxiety is a symtom of hypothyroidism, I've had 3 blood tests done in total as Having palpitations and still trying work out what's causing what. I also asked Dr to do vit and mineral tests thyroid UK is a good site so you could take this to Dr I was low on vit D so currently get it on prescription and think it's made a difference. Hope this helps

• Posted

It's not the throxine I suffer from stres I am on throxine suffered Before I started on it though anyway my Bloodpreashure was 152 /92 on 10 December last year I was 15 stone 10 I am know 14 3 eating lots off veg fruite and tackeing supplements my Zbloodpreashure is know115/68 however I can get readings off 144/78 Brought on purely By stress that was my reading this afternoon however after sever ale readings it Dropet two 117/68 so the mind can do a lot I even get stressed if my Bp is121/ 70 as this is one point in the high normal rage for the first time in over ten years my throxine has been Dropet from 150 mg daily two 125 mg all through A good diet  good luck and do not let the stress get you down says me lol
  • Posted

Hi Alice. I had a similar experience some years ago and it was caused by messing about with occult practices. I then became a Christian and prayed to the Lord to take these away and they went

I hope this does help and perhaps if praying does not work, see your GP

Just thought to share my experience.

• Posted

The Lord helps for Defo or should I say our guardians as I for one would not Be worthy I am a chirstain spirtulist

• Posted

Hello  Alice:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease since 1987.

Sometimes when a person has a fear or phobia of something & in your case Spiders, you dream about it and esp. at night when things are dark. The brain imagines things when it is night.

Maybe a good idea would be to use a night light in your room. A bit of light helps people.  Also try and use some relaxation techniques like soft music a warm bath, reading, or watching TV.

If it gets worse and keeps you awake, then ask the doctor for Xanax a mild tranqulizer that many people use for anxiety.  There is no shame in asking for this.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

I totally agree Shelly. Medicine to help with anxiety is good. No shame in asking for that as it helped me when I was going through anxiety following childbirth and a divorce. There is a place for both meds and prayer. Godbless you for all the help you give on this forum.
    • Posted

Hello Gillian:

Thank You for your beautiful words. I do believe in the power of prayer also and have seen it work.

God Bless all who suffer.

XO, Shelly

• Posted

Thank you all for your advice.

Shelly - the only thing stopping me asking for anti anxiety medication is that I feel like it could be caused by my Levo in the first place, as this is the only thing I've changed recently. It feels wrong to be taking medication to prevent something caused by other medication... or is that just how it is?! I'll talk to my GP anyway and see if she has any ideas. Thanks

• Posted

Alice - I have hypothyroid as well and I've noticed that when I take my medication at night, I have really vivid dreams and I don't sleep well at all.  Do you take your meds in the morning or at night?  You might also try taking half of your dose in the morning and half at night.  Naturally our bodies secrete hormones all day not once a day.  I found that when I am overmedicated I am anxious a lot!  
    • Posted

Hello Alice:

How about cutting the tablet in half, (small pill but powerful pill LEVO is) and take half for a while and see if you feel better. It can make you feel weird when you never had it before.

Some people need a bit less and the med comes in 25mcg as the lowest dose. My sister also has Hashimoto's thyroid disease, and she has anxiety also and her doctor told her to take Xanax and she feels fine.  She is now able to enjoy her life more.

XO, Shelly

• Posted

Thanks for the great advice Shannon and Shelly, I'll try switching to half in the morning and half at night, and if that doesn't work I'll try just half a pill.

And I'd like to echo Gillian's sentiment, thus isn't the first time you've helped me out Shelly and I'm sure it won't be the last!

• Posted

Hi Alice - 25mcg is a very small dose and taking half of that will render it pretty useless. Its hard to know without seeing your blood test results for T4 AND T3 whether you need medicating at all right now. Ask for your test results with the ranges they were set in to see whether you are hypo or hyper.
  • Posted

Throxine tackes 12 weeks to kick in sometimes longer 25 really should Be tacken in one go I have been on throxine for years I started on 25 mg then slowly over the years went up two two 150 I have lost weight and compley changed my eating habits lots off fruite veg fish and chicken for the first time in over ten years my melds have been Dropet two 125 instead off 150  throxine is very inportant for underactive throide try tackeing it in the morning all off it and see how you go if you do not feele Wright go to the Dr good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.