Anxiety and obsession

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the past 6 weeks I have been suffering with anxiety which has affected my bowel movements. I don’t seem to have a normal solid bowel movement it is usually smaller softer pieces. I also lost my ex boyfriend to suicide in February which hasn’t helped my anxiety. Anyway I have became obsessed with my bowel movements. Every morning I wake up & go to the toilet to poo even without an urge, sometimes I can get something out & others I can’t. I think I am making myself go when I don’t even need to. I keep thinking I have been eating so I should be able to poo. I can’t remember what my normal bowel habits where like before all this anxiety started I just went when I needed to & that was it. I can’t get it out of my head I am constantly thinking about when the next time I will be able to poo. Anyone any advice as I don’t want to keep feeling like this.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Do you think that the anxiety you are feeling is causing you to have these issues? Certainly worrying can affect the stomach and bowel! I would advise you to see your doctor and have all your anxiety issues addressed! Worrying about bowel movements will be increasing your anxiety and causing a vicious circle. You do need to seek medical advice and not leave it any longer.  I wish you well! 
  • Posted

I know what  you are experiencing. Although I have not had any anxiety like you I’ve had the same issue trying to go to the bathroom even if I don’t have to. I know I should have to go so I push and nothing comes out. I began taking stool softeners and fiber and that helps with the size of the stool. Little hard pieces you were having don’t happen  as much when you take the fiber pills. I also try not to go to the bathroom until I’ve put it off a few times. Once the day gets started I attempt to keep from calling and trying again. I’m trying to train my body to just go in the morning like I used to. I also have been to biofeedback therapy and have gotten a lot of pointers on how to relax to go to the bathroom. There are YouTube videos that help you with the issue look them up. Hope this helps
  • Posted

You have had a really terribly stress time the last few weeks and stress causes all sorts of problems, including bowel problems. I suffer from anxiety and convinced myself I had bowel cancer because my bowel movements were all over the place and I was focusing on them. My bowel test was normal and because I was no longer stressing over my bowels they settled down.  I really think you need to go and see your doctor and tell him/her what an awful time you have been having, just talking it through will be helpful. I agree with ruari1 post, please make an appointment to see your doctor ASAP. Take care of yourself and keep in touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.