Anxiety and Panic Attacks for 6 weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been reading the forums and need help and support.

I have been suffering from panic attacks about my health for so man weeks and been to the GP.

I cannot get the fear of dying out of me head and so want this to stop.

So scared of taking medication but have been prescribed Propanlol which I have been taking and Citalopram.

I orginally had a 24 hour ecg and was given a diagnosis over the phone of Atrial Fibrillation. I was told that I needed to take beat blockers and Warfarin due to the risk of stroke.

I ws absoulutely gutted and frightened stiff and this has now rollerballed out of control.

Paid to see a Cardiologist in London who did not agree with diagnosis and thought that the massive amounts of palpitations were benign.

I then saw another Cardiologist for an Ecocardiogram as my brother died of Cardiomyopathy at 55 yrs old.

I think of death all of the day and am not sleeping any mpre that fpur hours a night.

I have terrible panic attacks and am de[erate tp be near others all of the time.

I feel so lonely and scared and want all of this to stop.

I want to enjoy life like I used to and like others do. I want to stop worrying all of the time about my health and needing constant re-assurance.

I am waiting for CBT and know that I need help.

I cannot carry on like this has anyone any advice please.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Morning Christine.

i had the same problem as you have back last April, I got it into my head that I had cancer, I had been having back pain for a month and I was working in a nurses house and he told me about his job and about one of his patients. Any way I left there thinking I was dying. I too had scans and all was ok but I still didn't believe it. When I had cbt they said it was due to stress from work and was my bodies way of slowing me down. My meds they put me on we're mirtazapine and quetiapine this was given to me by a private psychiatrist I had to pay to see as my dr gave citalopram and that made me worse and he was not much help as most gps are not much help with mh problems. The meds have helped me sleep and feel better and with slowing working down things have got a lot better. I still have days when I worry about dying but just try to tell my self I am alive today and what happens tomorrow happens and I can't change that!!

hope this helps 

• Posted

lThanks so much for your repsonse. I do wish I could sleep for longer than 4 hours.

I have not long left a very stressfull job after 34 yrs and lost my mum in January. I know she was old but I was also her carer and lived with for 6 years until she had to go into a home.

I have now lost all my initial family and have been surrounded by illness and death.

I thank you so much for your response. Glad you feel better,

• Posted

Hi Christine

Sorry to hear you're suffering.  Sometimes we begin to suffer with depression and anxiety without really knowing it, and then start to worry about our health, which in turn makes depression and anxiety worse, and you end up in a viscous cycle.  The fears can be so overwhelming.

I expect the palpitations are due to anxiety, and though harmless can be very unpleasant.  Obviously get checked out to make sure all is fine physically though.

Taking Citralopram will make you feel unwell to start with, but with continued use you'll begin to feel the benefits.  As your anxiety starts to diminish, so you'll be able to put the health fears back into perspective and not feel so worried by them.

Worrying thoughts, anxiety etc are all symptoms of depression, and once this starts to lift too with Citralopram you'll should start to feel more relaxed and comfortable.  It does take quite a long time for the medication benefits to be felt, but thes pills will help you.

K xx

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response Kate. I am so scared amd feel at the end of my tether. I m usually such a strong  person. You are kind to get back to me.
    • Posted

I've been there before ..... felt at the end of my tether many times, didn't know where to turn next.  It's very scary.  It would bring the strongest man to his knees. xx
    • Posted

Kate it is comforting to get a message from you believe me.

Thank you so much I would not wish this on my worst enemy would you.

How long did it take for you to feel better?

• Posted

I've always said the same too .... wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy :-). The worst illness I've ever had to cope with in my life.

i was was ill for many years on anti depressants without any improvement, and when I was out on SSRI's I recovered!!  Couldn't believe it.  I've taken them for 15 years now and have been well ever since.

Initially it took me about 3-4 months to feel some benefit, then I just improved weekly over the next 6 months after that.  It took a long time but so glad I stuck it out.

i came off a year ago and felt ok, but restarted this August again because my son became ill and it was beginning to affect me again, so started the meds before I went downhill too far.  This time it took me about 2 months and I'd forgotten how bad the side effects were!  

It it always seems nothing is improving, but keep on going through all the nasty side effects and things will start to improve.  I also had dips every so often when I was recovering, but that's normal.

Dont know where I'd be without this medication.

K xx

• Posted

Sorry for the typos

meant to say PUT on SSRI's not OUT :-)

• Posted

You have been through things Kate.

Life throws some stuff up for us to deal with doesn't it.

I would so much like to sleep properly.

Once again I do find someone to converse with a comfort.

• Posted

Sleep disruption is common with this medication, but thankfully it doesn't last forever.  Such a pain when you want to sleep and can't though ...
    • Posted

Kate how long do you think ot will last before I can sleep well? 

Can you remember?

• Posted

Kate I do not really want to keep taking medication as it really worries me.

I am also on Propanlol due to the irreguar heart and feel so concerned about my frame of mind. Thank you again for your messages which I find comforting.

• Posted

Can't remember exactly how long it took before I could sleep properly, but think a few months.  I was also told to take my meds in the morning as it can keep you awake if taken in the evening, but some people find the meds make them sleepy.  Everyone finds the best time to take their pills.

You can take this medication for life if you need to, they're not addictive.  Some people have to take meds for epilepsy, diabetes etc and this is an illness like any other.  I wouldn't worry about taking them ...... if you need them, then take them.

xx

• Posted

Hi Kate thanks again and lovely to hear from you.

I take the tablet in the morning.

I am of course contined to be worried about the irregualr heart rate and why this is happening,

One test after another.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.