Anxiety and panic attacks Surfer

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is anyone out there suffering from anxiety and panic attacks... I have been suffering from them for 3 years now I live in Canada and I am finding it very hard to be properly medicated for my condition I've seen psychiatrist family doctors and they have failed me I am currently taking one milligram twice a day of Lorazepam / Ativan which is not doing it for me I'm pretty sure I am suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome and no one will help me get properly medicated I suffer from Panic everyday within three years I lost my baby brother a boyfriend to a fatal motorcycle accident caused by a woman that was trying to commit suicide and watch my chef have a massive heart attack right in front of my eyes any doctor that I go and see will not help me with my issues I've been bounced around from psychiatrist and psychiatrist and all I have been asking for is 2 milligrams of Lorazepam twice a day anybody have any suggestions for me because I am truly suffering running out of my prescription early problems with my doctor and pharmacist and I don't think they're taking me seriously help !!!!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

At the top it is supposed to say anxiety and panic attacks suffer
  • Posted

Do you know what triggers your issues?

I'm from Canada too, what city are you from?

• Posted

I'm In toronto Ontario ... now as my doctor is retiring more bad news I've been to 10 other doctors and they will not accept me because it's a benzo I think the real problem is nobody wants to deal with the issue at hand it's so much easier just get the prescription pad and writing me up for all these antidepressants that do nothing but put on excess weight thanks for listening
    • Posted

I'm also from toronto lol.

Have you been to CAMH?

• Posted

Hi...I'm from Canada as well and suffer from both anxiety and panic attacks. Have all my life. I'm so sorry to hear about everything you went through. All those events are tragic ones.

I too lost my youngest brother a year and a half ago. Life is so short and unexpected.

I have a Psychiatrist as well who I don't see anymore as its all about meds. My doc wants to see me on antidepressant as she feels it will benefit me. I am on clonazepam (same family as lorazepam) almost daily. I try not to be so dependant on this med as these meds can be addictive and have long term effects from them. They do assist in calming us down however they do cause anxiety as well.

I find myself in the same situation and trying desperately to get a hold of this so I can continue to live a normal life.

I am assuming these events have caused ur anxiety and panic? Or have u always suffered?

Sandi

• Posted

I am truly sorry to hear of your loss as well it is one difficult battle I'll tell you I've been suffering for the last 3 years lost my job I've been suffering due to sick leave now that my doctor has retired I am finding it next to impossible to find a doctor that will prescribe me my medication daily I do realize that is addictive medication but I have tried so many other options so many other drugs that have failed me I have also been hospitalized twice and diagnosed with severe anxiety and panic attacks I'm completely lost and a half nowhere to go virtually
  • Posted

hi, I'm from the UK and suffer with depression, anxiety and panic disorders as well.

It's truly heartbreaking to read your post and I am very sorry for your losses. Anybody without some sort of anxiety disorder after all that isn't human, you're a very strong person for getting through all that.

i agree with Sandi though, no doctor in their right mind will perminantly prescribe you with regular doses of a Benzodiazepines due to their highly addictive properties and massive adverse affects. Many people report them causing more anxiety than they started with, and that's not mentioning how much worse you will feel when you have to stop them. It's really not worth it.

You need an antidepressant and therapy for the underlying cause of your anxiety and a Beta Blocker for the panic attacks. 

Beta Blockers stop your body releasing adrenaline which is what causes and sustains your panic attacks.

I take both so can speak from experience, they do help.

The antidepressants do take between 4 and 8 weeks until you feel any real benifits but they are worth it, you just have to stick with it.

I hope things improve for you i really do but i'd heed on taking your doctors advice, they might be pompus butt faces but they do have some expertiese and they would only advise medication in your best interest and after careful examination.

From the bottom of my heart i wish you all the luck.

• Posted

Hi Dannie,

I have never been precribed beta blockers and I have seen many posts about them. I am seeing my family doctor tmrw and will inquire. I anticipate starting cipralex again (antidepressant) and hopefully this will help a bit.

I'm sorry that you too suffer from this debilitating illness. I hope we can all manage this.

Sandi

• Posted

sandi, I would highly recommend you at least try them, give them 1 or 2 days to get in your system and i swear you will never know why you didn't get them sooner.

They basically turn your adrenaline off, you will still get the anxiety unfortunately but thats where your antidepressants come in, but they will also help with any side effects your antidepressants might cause whilst they get into your system.

Honestly BEST thing i ever did.

I hope you do give them a go, very inevasive medication.

let me know how you get on 

D x

• Posted

Thank you so much for all the info. I'm just hesitant to try new things and to be on a ton of meds. I'm scared of the side effects. Im petrified of getting sick and fear more nausea...
    • Posted

That's the best thing about Propranolol i think though Sandi, they are a very inevasive tablet that only work to control your panic attacks, nothing else.

There can be some side effects as with all meds but you're very unlikely to get them and I'm sure they're only sleepiness and possible nausea but I certainly didnt get any and if you do then they would wear off withing a couple of days. NOTHING like antidepressants.

I do hope you'll try them x

• Posted

I've been on cipralex twice for more than a year hopefully it will work for you it did absolutely nothing for me and like I said before it's absolutely unfortunate that people label you as whatever they think people with this serious illness many need some relief
  • Posted

The doctor is NOT you and doesn't seem to realize how crippling anxiety and panic attacks can do to a person.  I would think, considering your condition, that 2 milligrams of Lorazepam twice a day isn't too much to ask for.

Go to another doctor and tell him what you've been through and all you are asking for is HELP for yourself and he needs to up the Lorazepam for the good of your own mental health.

I have a wonderful doctor who doesn't hesitate to give me anything within reason.

I truly don't understand why people in the health field don't sympathize and find solutions for people in need.

• Posted

My doctor has retired and I've been left with nothing but a 1-800 number I've called 10 Dr and all have refused me do you live in Toronto Ontario I would love to be able to contact the doctor that has a bit of reason and understanding this is a very serious illness for many and is very crippling and has completely taken over my life I am not the same person I was 5 years ago I can't even step on public transit I do not have a social disorder I just suffer 3to4 panic attacks daily very crippling and I love your comment thank you so so much for understanding the word needs to be out there but you can't just expect someone to take an antidepressant and all is better I am not depressed I have anxiety issues God bless you and Louise
    • Posted

Ask for clonazepam. It's slower acting but lasts longer vs fast acting short lived like Ativan or lorazepam. I take a half a pill every day along with antidepressants I just started. I'm not depressed btw i suffer horrific panic attacks and anxiety. And antidepressants do help with chemical imbalances. I was very hesitant to go back on them but I felt I had no other choice. I too am from Toronto Canada. ...

Sandi

• Posted

Sorry, I just saw this.  No, k61, I live in England.  My mother lives in the states and finds it hard to get anything for anxiety from her doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.