Anxiety and Panic Relapse after Citalopram withdrawal

Posted , 11 users are following.

Evening chaps!

So I have been battling with depression and anxiety for the past 5 years or so! I recently after a period of feeling great, and a desire to start fatherhood (baby due in March) without a dependence upon medication, decided to just go cold turkey from the 20mg citalopram I had been on!

One month in Of no citalopram, I started to feel a bit iffy with some intrusive thoughts coming back however I was still pretty ok and felt It would clear so carried on my usual day to day!

However 2 weeks ago after around 2 months with no citalopram, I have had a big crash and have just become a shadow of the former me on the medication! All of my anxiety and panic attacks have returned which is awful and has made me feel at Rock bottom, however I think the thing that upsets me the most is a feeling of detatchment from wife and bump! This is very upsetting and I just want to feel close to her again!

I started back on my citalopram 1 week ago and am still feeling really rubbish and just wanted to know if I should have been feeling better by now! I have a dreadful fear that I will never recover and that is crippling. Anyone returned to citalopram and had their anxiety go away again?

Any experience of this?

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Howard, only been back on the meds for a short while, so things are a bit rough, but getting better, and even though life keeps chucking things

at me, and even though I don't feel great, the meds help me cope. As the other members of our little gang have said, things will get better, that I

promise you. So chin up and take baby steps. we're all here to help you.

Geoff

• Posted

I am totally amazed by the responses of people on here! I posted and expected maybe one reply!

I self doubt, and am super impatient with wanting to get better, if it doesn't happen now then I continue to self doubt and imagin il never get better! As you say I need to look at it in a different way! For instance I work from home, yesterday I had to work from bed as felt so low and awful I couldn't bare getting out, however today I worked from my home office until midday and then went round to mums to work there for a bit of company! That is a small step in a positive direction! And I need to focus on that before wanting to run!

• Posted

Hi Howard, It sounds like the side effects with retruning to Citalopram which should normalise once your brain has adapted again, keep with it buddy the meds will put you right again and you will be feeling happier keep your partner updated so she doesnt feel its her "you no the whole mom thing is pretty emotional" if you still dont feel good after a month or two see your GP but I think your probably just a bit drained mentally which cita will help with. Take care boss.
    • Posted

Thanks mate! I will try and keep chipper! She is a god send and that empty feeling I feel when I see her that I know is so false is painful! I need to learn to walk before I run !

I am going to beat this shit and be the best dad ever!

• Posted

Yes you are Howard !!! with your attitude nothing can break you!!!! Merry Christmas my friend and heres to fatherhood!!!
  • Posted

Bless your heart, you've done the worst bit by taking day 1! I'm on week 7 and am so much better than I was but it took about 4 weeks to start noticing any difference and for the rubbish side effects to start wearing off. Saying that, by March you should be all singing and dancing and ready for  the baby xxx keep us posted, this site has been invaluable for me xxx
    • Posted

Hey Marf,

Glad to hear you are feeling a lot more positive! Waking this morning I have had a bit of anxiety however it has not been as bad as previously!

• Posted

Oops sent that a bit early,

Yes last night my wife and I went to our antenatal course and met all our friends and I can say that I felt great! Much more upbeat and happy ! I know I have a long old bumpy road ahead until I really am back in the game but these little steps are where it starts!

• Posted

Fantastic, you are doing great xx mornings were (and still are occasionally) the worst bit and evenings the best xxx onwards and upwards xx much love xx
  • Posted

Hi Howard, things will get better and I believe that by March, you will be well on the way. I haven't been able to work since my wifedied 18 months ago, because of depression and anxiety, the

thought of leaving the house terrified me. But for the last few

weeks I have been seriously thinking about getting a part time

job. So miracles do happen. Keep up the good work.

Best regards, Geoff.

• Posted

Hi Geoff,

I am really sorry to hear that your wife has passed away! It must be incredibly hard to go through, however it sounds as though you are coming through to the other side smile!

I think the support of this site is testiment to how much support there is out ther for people going through a hard time! The thing we all have to keep in mind is that these things Will pass, and so will the intrusive thoughts!

All the best

Howard

• Posted

Hey Howard

hang in there, it's early days can take a few weeks or nearly 6 weeks to feel better. From my experience any hoo.

you are going through a stressful time, but amazing one with your wife being pregnant.

things will get better, just takes time.

all the best

Lou x

• Posted

Hi Lou,

Thanks for your message! Didn't have the best of days today still have a lot a lot of anxiety about not ever getting better even though the pills helped me over come it once in the past I keep fretting that this time it won't

Driving me mad! Just need to hunker down and weather the storm!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.