Anxiety and pregabalin

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I have bin suffering anxiety for 15 years I'm 28 now I've just bin diagnosed of generalised anxiety disorder and was given pregabalin as my medication as last resort.. well I've taken my 1st one today and I felt so calm but then I felt badly dizzy which isn't major as I constant feel dizzy anyway..but then when it come to evening I was feeling more anxious again but just wondering how long it takes for the medication to work as I have 5 children hate feeling like this I'm also rocking back and forth all time I look like a rite Luna tick but it's my comfort I just want this to go away what's the side effects people got I want to keep taking them so I'm better

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey Kirstie...my god you must be a busy girl with the kids and everything and if the medication you have makes you feel better keep on taking it, I was on lyrica but it didnt suit me so i got off it, everyone is different and react to medications differently so if its helping you keep on taking them. The only problem I had was the withdrawls getting off them.

Hang in there and ask your Dr for more info about this med and make a plan with the Dr about dosage ect.....

Good luck.......try to get a little rest when you can biggrin

• Posted

Hi Kirstie, I was diagnosed with GAD as well after quitting smoking on the 13th Feb' cold turkey, having smoked for almost 40 years at a pack a day.!!! And then prescribed Rewisca (pregabalin) 50mg three times a day about 2 weeks ago.

They started working straight away after the first day, but they can take up to 3 to 4 weeks to really have an effect.

I quit taking mine as they would make me feel like a zombie next day with zero energy and couldn't get out of bed.

They could be different with you though so persevere and take them at the prescribed times and dosage.

Side effects are scary like most drugs, and you should have received an information leaflet with your prescription telling you all about pregabalin. If you didn't then ask your Doctor or Pharmacist for a leaflet which describes all of the side effects. These are listed as 1 in 10; 1 in 100, and 1 in 1000.

The side effects were too bad for me to continue with the prescription but you are probably different.

• Posted

Hi Kirstie

?If by now the side effects are still bothering you, think about coming off this drug. My research shows that it does help some patients with GAD for about 6 weeks and then suddenly the anxiety gets worse and worse and your GP will up the dose. Pregabalin is very addictive, and extremely difficult to come off. I know personally how difficult it is as I am presently tapering slowly down from 100mg twice a day - it has taken 8 weeks to get down to 70mg twice a day and the withdrawls are awful even just coming down 10% a week. As you have not been on them very long now is the time to stop if you feel you want to. This is not the wonder drug the medics tell us it is and they certainly don't tell us about side effects and withdrawals. Having 5 children is arduous enough without adding to your problems. Pregablin causes changes in personality, anger, sleeping too much or too little, balance problems, weight gain (many report around 45llbs over 3-6months) and the list goes on. GP's won't accept these things happen and just keep on upping doses trying to find a level "that suits you". Whatever you do, do not go up on your present dose. I accept that some patients feel Pregabalin helps them, particularly people with neuropathic pain (I have this) and yes, it has taken my pain away...but also it has affected my brain and I suffer confusion, brain fog, memory loss and loss of vocabulary (you know you know the words but your mind is blank). I decided I could not make that trade just to be pain free, hence my decision to come off them after 15 months. Now you have a bit more information, please think carefully about what you do next. You have the chance to come off them before the damage is done. Of course, at the end of the day it is totally your decision and choice and whatever you do I wish you well for the future.

?Please feel free to message me if you wish to, either just for support or more general information - If I can be of help I will do my best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.