Anxiety and reassurance.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, I hope my little post finds you all well.

Another brief update, and one which I felt would be positive to those who desperately need reassurance to help their anxiety.

For the past nine months I had been convinced that I had a brain tumour. I kept going back to the Drs because my symptoms kept persisting and in turn, I kept panicking and I fell into a terrible spiral.

I wanted the reassurance of a scan, but I didn't get one. In fact, I came to realise that my soul purpose for visiting the Drs has been for a scan, despite the fact I feared one. This is think was a huge factor for the loop. I couldn't get my definitive 'O.K' for the first time in my life and the loss of control flawed me...

So I could do nothing but trust my GP and follow their advice. They prescribed me something for my ears - which so far seems to be working.... And my anxiety is dropping and for the first time since February, I feel like myself...

I listened to my anxiety and I let it govern me. In fact I listened to it so much that it stopped me solving the problem.

If I said the fear of a brain tumour was gone I would be lieing - my symptoms aren't all completely gone and some times they do come back...but it is early days. I keep on with my new medication and keep looking forward.

I hoped that my experience may help someone else who felt so governed by their anxieties... And to let them know that even at their bleakest they can still take the plunge and take control - even if the outcome could scare them. It's better than being in that dreaded limbo.

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I don't fully understand the whole helping Cytie thing and actually being healthy. I understand there's a mind aspect to this I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I don't have hypochondria. But I do have anxiety.

• Posted

Anxiety not  cytie. Many do have pains or chronic ailments  behind it. Pain causes anxiety. In this case your ears had issues but either you didnt know, didnt exolain it?  

• Posted

I allowed myself to home in on what anxiety was telling me and let it govern me. There was an issue there but my anxiety hid the truth. All I was concerned with was my brain tumour fear and wouldn't listen to my Drs.

• Posted

I allowed myself to home in on what anxiety was telling me and let it govern me. There was an issue there but my anxiety hid the truth. All I was concerned with was my brain tumour fear and wouldn't listen to my Drs.

• Posted

I hope this is true and you have learned something from this. Anxiety is nothing more then a big bully. I do think it also has a message with it but usually the fear levels it creates are so intense its hard to listen to the message.
  • Posted

Hi Mopsy smile

Ah, you're getting there!

Right mind thinking!!!!

And trying to help others as well!

Proud of you, honey

Helen xx

• Posted

Hi Helen smile yes I feel like I'm coming round a bit and I really hope my mindset stays smile

• Posted

hiya my anxiety started with an ear virus too which lead to about 50 odd physial anxiety symptons mainly including balance issues and the rest after that, went on a couple of ad,s bv couldnt tolerate the side effects, but the anti anxiety med klonopin seems to be helping a bit, worried mostly about a clot on the brain that i might have which hasnt been found yet, i dare go to the dr in case he sends me for an mri, what meds did the doc give u for your ears?
    • Posted

Hi Natalie.  I would be very interested in what meds were prescribed for ears too as this has been a major part of my anxiety issues. The worst part is the off balance feeling which freaks me out  !!!! Do you get that ? Mine started with a virus but with panic and anxiety it develops into something much more serious  ( in your head of course)  Its a nightmare of an illness isn't it ?  Luv Lily xx

• Posted

yes ive had it for jus over a year now with balance issues and off and on nausea which went away but the balance issue has stayed. ive got tinnitus in my right ear which doesnt bother me much now, i wasnt given anything for my ears jus ad,s which made things worse alongside the panic i was gven behistine for the dizziness bv it didnt help much X
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Natalie.  Same here I was prescribed behistine but in fact they make my head feel more off balance !! I am on 10mg Citalopram but nothing else for ears.  I wish there was a drug available, it would help us a lot I'm sure.    xx

• Posted

yes it would, apart from the balance issue what other symptons have u had and for how long? ive always been a worrier and had health anxiety most of my life, but this all started to get worse after this virus the ENT i went to jus tested my ears and gave me behistine bv my gp mentioned labyrhinitis after the symptons calmed down a bit the panic anxiety and physial ones set in, it went downhill from there X
    • Posted

Lily mine began with a virus too! And it was a huge issue with my anxiety and yes - the balance.. Feel like I'm on a ship! It's hard to work through it sometimes and makes concentrating hard. Im using an anti inflammatory at the mo - today is very cold here and it is worse again but I'm going to keep on with the meds and hope it continues to work smile

• Posted

I had just about every health anxiety symptom , shaky legs, fuzzy head, trembling, sweating, fatigue.....you name it, I had it !!!Since taking Citalopram these have eased but when I have an ear/balance "episode" they come back but I find I can manage them slightly better. So the Cit is working. However, on my last visit to my GP I was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency (after having a blood test) so have been prescribed a Vit D capsule.  Am hoping these will help with the general feeling of "not feeling great".  May be worth you checking this out  !! xx

• Posted

Hi SIllymop.  You have just described the feeling exactly !!! It is just like being on a boat.  I have tried anti inflammatory tabs too but because I am taking a mild dose of Citalopram I am nervous about taking too many of those.  I do take a "cold remedy capsule" sometimes and they do appear to work. Just wish they would find a more permanent treatment but they just say take the behastimine and "get on with it".  At least, thats the impression I get !!!!xx

• Posted

Yes I know what you mean. It's terrifying for us, as well as feeling debilitating at times but the DRs don't seem to think it is too worrisome. I have picked up a cold and it's made it a lot worse again which feels like such rotten, rotten luck. I will keep on with the medication and hopefully this will continue to keep it at bat until my next GP appointment smile

I am trying to stay in the same frame of mind I was in yesterday, anxiety so far has not done me many favours

• Posted

It is very difficult to stay in a positive state of mind isn't it ? Sometimes as much as I try, once I get a "symptom" of any sort, my positivity goes out of the window. Then I feel like its 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. With regard to you catching a cold, have you ever had Vitamin D checked with a blood test ? Could be why your immune system is low. Just a thought.  xx

• Posted

I had my vitamin levels checked last year and they were OK. Most people around me have has this cold so it really was just a matter of time before I caught it myself sad

You are right, little things can throw you. At the moment my anxiety is saying "what if it isn't a cold and it's just got worse?"

I certainly feel like I have a cold and my throat is quite sore. I'm also a bit achey which are all tell-tale symptoms for me when I catch things... I suppose if it is an ear/sinus issue than this will make it worse.

I will keep on going smile

• Posted

It does sound as if you have a cold, especially as people around you have had it. Quite normal for us to automatically think "what iff"  !!  Dear me, what are we like ???  I am trying so hard to keep my sense of humour ticking over.   Hope your cold clears up soon. Luv Lily x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.