Anxiety and swallowing

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all... not sure if I've posted about this before...thanks to brain fog, I can't remember! 😂

Do any of you ladies ever struggle with swallowing when eating?? I've been struggling for over a week now. It's almost as if it's a brain thing if that makes sense? I find myself over chewing food with no desire to swallow... almost as if I can't... it's utter madness. Never had it this bad before.

Can anyone relate??

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

yes actually going through that now for about a month now i hate it, its like when i go to swallow i panic automatically and feels like i cant i even have this swallowing problem without eating its horrible i hate anxiety

• Posted

I can totally relate... it is the worst symptom ever!

Do you find you're under eating because of this? I try to rationalise it in my mind, but mentally feel too exhausted... it almost feels like the brain isn't sending proper signals when trying to eat/swallow. . horrible x

• Posted

yea i eat less cause of this and it does seem like brain mot sending signal or something

• Posted

Yep. I get that a fair bit - and not even when I'm full. It's almost like my stomach has shut the trapdoor and says, "That's it, we're done here guys"

• Posted

For me my throat actually hurts when I swallow food .. but I don't have a cold or cough or anything of the sort. I dont really want to keep going to a doctor for every thing now. Along with the joint pain and muscle aches this is another thing to cope with

• Posted

hello dora

yes i can relate completey - unfortunately. had it yesterday. i have had it since my twenties at different times in my life but a couple of years ago it was so bad, that i could hardly eat anything and then it started happening with spit or mucus. that was an all time low. now i remember that it is just anxiety, that everything is totally ok, that my body knows what to do and that i just need to trust that everything will be alright and it mostly goes away immediately. sometime i take magnesium in these moments or cbd drops to just help it along and think about what is worrying me or why i feel stressed. then i try to remove myself in mind or body or both from that situation. i hate anxiety but ultimately we are in charge and can tell it to GET LOST! sending lots of good vibes your way.

• Posted

Thank you... your words have helped to reassure me and calm my mind...

This last week and half has been a battle for sure.... living hell.

Think mine is stress which triggered the anxiety to the extreme.

Have you ever taken any medication to help with your symptoms? I'm seriously considering it now... even thought about hrt patches... if they helped I would gladly start using them x

• Posted

yes, two years ago i started bioidentical hrt and it has helped with a lot of things amongst other anxiety.

A year before that i was prescribed Lorazepam. i was aloud to take it 3-4 times a week. personally i think it made everything worse. really made me feel that something was wrong with me. i completely feared the days on which i wouldn't be able to take it or when the effect run out after 5-6 hours i also had adrenal issues and burn out. i would wake up with this terrible pounding sound in my head that just got stronger a stronger. at one stage i couldn't talk anymore or communicate with my husband and children, eat or anything. i finally decided just to let the humming sound be and talk back to anxiety and concentrate on all the nice things i would do that day. the book DARE helped me as well as other anxiety books and podcasts. loads of stuff on youtube. then i started listening to binaural beats, meditation and hypnosis and that helped tons.

hope that helps a little bit. always here if you need somebody to talk to.

• Posted

I enquired about bioidentical hrt on nhs, but was told it isn't available.

I am seriously considering taking the standard hrt patch...

Have heard of cbd oil but never tried it.

Thank you for your help

• Posted

dear Dora

yes, you can try it. if it does not help then you can just stop again. sometimes just balancing the hormones helps a lot. keep me posted on how you are doing. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.