Anxiety and Tight Throat.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone, I've been having really bad episodes of a "tight throat" lately and it always sends me to a panic attack where I start to feel like I can't breathe. I noticed today I was close to the refrigerators at the supermarket and that's when it got worse and another day I got the symptoms soon as I ate ice cream. So I am pretty sure that it gets activated by the cold. I had the same problem a few months back but everything went to normal eventually, only to return now. 

Has anybody else experianced anything similar? 

I want to see a ENT doctor just to make sure that everything is alright with my throat but last time I was there he told me that I would need to do a endoscopy exam and that he feared this would be hard for me because of my panic and he didn't want my visit to be a nightmare. Therefore I never did the test. This worries me because I also have a slight whistling sound when I breathe in and out when I am in bed ever since I got the flu last December.

Is there another test I can run to check up my throat tightness? It would be really reassuring to know my throat is ok so I can try to control these symptoms. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had a lump in the throat feeling,and had it checked by ent - all fine. It's very common with anxiety in general,try to not let it become an obsession,it'll pass in time
    • Posted

Hi and thank you. May I ask what kind of tests your ent ran on you?
    • Posted

It's a small tube up the nose which views the nose and throat. It's not as horrible as it sounds, can hardly feel it really,only takes about 10 seconds
    • Posted

But what if I was unable to complete that test because my panic kicked in. What tests are there I can do? sad
    • Posted

If they feel they need to do that test to be sure,which they do- I'm afraid there are no others. I know how u feel,I was really panicing about it,but they do it all day every day,it doesn't hurt, it tickles very slightly,if I can do it anyone can,I've had it done twice and really it was nothing
    • Posted

My problem is that they numb the area. This will immediately make me feel like I can't breathe and send me to a panic attack. 
    • Posted

They only numb the area if you ask them to,they didnt for me and I didnt need it,it really is allo over too quickly
    • Posted

Guess I'm gonna have to take that extra anxiety pill and go in hoping for the best. I mean, even if I panic it wont kill me.. haha
    • Posted

It's honestly not worth the worry, and its sure to come back fine. I still feel a lump in my throat for most of the day I know there's nothing there but I still feel it
    • Posted

My main concern is that cold environment and/or food and drinks make it worse. That's what worries me that it might actually be something other then anxiety. 
    • Posted

Temperature does affect the globus sensation as your throat constricts, it does for everyone, its just with anxiety we focus on it too much
    • Posted

I see. Well that is definitely good to hear. I am going to see my psychiatrist tomorrow and be sure to bring it up too and see what he thinks. Ty so much for your help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.