Anxiety and weight loss?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello I am a 38 year old male. I am generally described as a natural worrier as always dread the worst.

Lately I have lost quite a bit of weight and this has caused my anxiety to become worse as i am not dieting and haven't changed anything in my life.

The doctors have ran numerous blood tests, chest X-rays, internal cameras (up&down) and ultra sounds on liver,kidneys, spleen,gallbladder, prostrate and pancreas. All came back clear apart from mild gastritis and a small hiatus hernia.

However I feel that I am still losing weight but could this be because of me worrying too much? Can stress and anxiety actually be the cause?

Can you actually lose weight due to too much worry?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I think it is possible to loose weight through stress/worry/anxiety. I myself have not not experienced this, I would welcome a weight loss to be honest but it's not the same for everybody. Are you on any medication?
  • Posted

First of all did your GP not put your mind at ease and tell you that is a possibility?bif not then tha'ts your question to ask!

Did they test for your thyroid' I have lost 17lbs since December and i still cant seem to put any of that weight back on.  I am still trying to get to the bottom of this.  Questioned my  GP after bllood tests many times and yes, it appears I am borderline but nothing to be concerned over. Autoimmune disorders run in the family... Made no difference. So my question is, is it because i am anxious or  is the anxiety caused by a slightly out of order thyroid?  I believe  thyroid probkems are more apparent  in females, however, that's ts not to say  it isn't a possibility. I don't wish to diagnose you  understand. Just a thought.  Some of the symptoms overlap and are similar to having anxiety, panic disorder,  racing heart and the list goes on! 

Hope this helps? 👍

• Posted

Sorry for numerous typo's, think I need magnification on my keypad..😳
  • Posted

In VAST MAJORITY of cases, where phantom illnesses, actual illnesses that just appear and have been checked out in the way you've described ..

ALL ROADS LEAD TO STRESS/ANXIETY/DEPRESSION!

Its as though ...just the mere fact one 'worries' or is 'anxious" (long term) ...there will be predictable and/or random physiological and emotional outcomes. List of associated ailments/conditions is long.

Just mybhumble opinion Legoman, so please consider all other responses.

May I suggest doing some Guided Meditation (YouTube)...it may help strengthen your mind and help eliminate a percentage of your worry.

Peace and better health.

p.s. excuse me for sounding like I know, no like you and MOST people on here I'm fighting my own demons and am struggling right now. Often I can't even practice what I preach. That said ...most of us on here know whatvis is to suffer with poor MH and we all want the best for you and each other as well ourselves. Much peace.

• Posted

Yes, anxiety can cause weight loss. I'm guessing your thyroid function was tasted and were you also screened for diabetes? Just curious.
    • Posted

Hello Thanks for your reply. Yes both Thyroid and diabetes were tested and come back clear.

I have went from 97kg in Sept to 90kg this week and the only thing I have really changed is to cut out pastry and chocolate. Surly these two items alone wouldn't lose 7kg in weight on the own.

• Posted

Ahhhh now you tell us. Only stopped eating Pastry and chocolate?

Hmmm...

I guess the next obvious question is...HOW MUCH pastry and chocolate?

• Posted

Very little to be honest,maybe a couple of bars a chocolate a week is all I used to enjoy and maybe a pasty every now and again.

Nothing substantial I didn't think.

I know cutting out these types of foods will naturally cause weight loss but if it was as easy to loose that much weight by cutting out maybe 1 pasty and 1 bar a week?

• Posted

Hi

Yes weight loss can be caused from anxiety and stress.

I dropped a full stone in 6weeks.  The problem is you worry about the weight loss this leads to more weight loss and it's vicious circle utill you implant in your mind that you ARE healthy and it IS due to stress and maybe even a very slight change in diet smile

I'm now not stressing over my weight and I have managed to gain 2 pounds smile

I hope this helps

• Posted

hi legoman1

just with regards to that i was the same...last month the week i was going on holiday to NZ i felt it a bit strange how i was losing the weight...i have seen the drs and it was due to my anxiety stress and worrying .... how ever i did put some weight back on in NZ just wanted if it was just ANXIETY..... and im the sortve person that thinks OMG whats rong with me know....every little symptom i get i flinch... wanting answers.....but just reading these lovely ladies comments it always puts your mind at ease thinking youre not alone....hang in therelol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.