Anxiety, appendicitis, ovaries or what?

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I was sick for 2 months, I found out 2 weeks ago I had a parasite infection and so I took flagyl for a week to treat it. I finished the treatment on Wednesday last week, I did get vague stomach pain during the course, but on the last couple of days of treatment I woke up with stomach cramps that came on suddenly and was mainly around my belly, but the pain subsided once I went to the toilet.

On Friday I had no stomach cramps but by the afternoon/evening I had a pain in my lower right side, it felt like ovulation pain but because it’s the right side I panicked thinking appendicitis. Yesterday the pain was still there, it seemed to hurt mostly when I moved and walked, it was a sharp pain but nothing severe. Today I think its gotten better, it hurts with some movements occasionally, including when I use the pelvic muscles to pee. But it mostly hurts when I push down on the spot. Its more of a dull pain now. Ive also got lots of abdominal noises and I feel a tad sick but then again I have been eating mostly chips and chocolate the past day or so.

It just concerns me. Could it be appendicitis or an ovary thing? I am a 15 year old girl, I have spent most of the past 2 and a half months in bed, the past few days I haven’t eaten very healthy, I recently gained back my appetite, and the pain is in the pubic area slightly above where the pubic hair begins, maybe even on that line and probably about an inch away from the right hip bone. No rebound effect from pressing and releasing, pain only comes when pressing down. I also have lots of uncomfortable/nauseating burps but that’s not new for me. My stools are mushy and soft and fairly smelly but not watery. Today I did strain a little to pass even thought it was soft. Also pretty gassy.

I did experience some chest pain today, alternated between left and right side of chest but I feel like that would be due to anxiety, I did have a small panic attack whilst at the shopping centre because I thought I must have appendicitis and I was very restless whist at the cinemas and couldn’t wait until the movie ended so I could get home and do research on my symptoms haha. My dad ignored my suggestion of appendicitis, he is ready to take away my electronics. I also had a couple times where a slight sharp pain thing occured on my right side like on the flank or whatever its called, the part in between the abdomen and the back. I also have had times where i feel like i need to pee even after peeing but on thursday the doctor said that can be due to dehydration (I was severely dehydrated that day) I just dont know what to do

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

smile I have been down this EXACT same road before...several times over. Have also been hospitalised for suspected appendicitis (private practice - they like taking our money biggrin In the end my appendix was removed...unnecessarily. It was the healthiest looking little appendix in the whole clinic (they kept it in a jar!!)  smile They removed it because once the incision was made they couldn't just sew me back up as the scar will indicate, in case of emergency, that i have no appendix and it would be dangerous in case it did get sick and rupture one day....

Just so you know...no tests are done for appendicitis until one is having clear symptoms! Even then...there is no test needed LOL...Your dad is right on this one. As much as you will hate hearing smile

Out of curiosity, could you tell me if you have taken a 7 day course of flagyl or more? And whether your ranitidine was prescribed by a doctor and if so how much and how long?

Now...your (pain in lower right abdomen) symptoms are consistent with a mild ovarian flare-up. And or trapped gas or some mild inflammation which will subside once your body detoxes from recent onslaught. You have no clear symptoms of apendicitis. If it were ruptured you would likely be dead by now. If it was close to rupturing you would be doubled-over in pain and worsening. You may have a tiny cyst on your ovary or mild inflammation (before you start googling and stuff: the little cysts can come and go and often rupture causing NO issues at all - i had roughly 20 since puberty and I am now 37...).

First of all and to be clear, ALL your other symptoms are book-case anxiety. You are in puberty at 15 and your hormones are all over the place. You mention a parasite infection for 3 months? If this helps you at all, the infection AND a course of Flagyl which wipes out a good portion of bacteria you need along with the ones you want to get rid of, may have contributed to worsening of your anxiety. I have taken Flagyl once - have NO issues taking antibiotics normally, but this one aggravated my anxiety rather notably. Symptoms also flare-up alongside illness because bodily sensations are brought into focus. Plus your immune system is at battle - those of us who are prone to anxiety suffer the effects more...because we pay attention smile

Then you are ALSO taking ranitidine for possible gastritis? Fantastic. Once gastritis is no longer suspected...and you are off ranitidine (which reduces your ability to digest food, absorb nutrition from that food and also affects your hormones, making you even more sluggish and tense and prone to infections...) you can start regaining balance. On the subject of : "I also have lots of uncomfortable/nauseating burps but that’s not new for me. My stools are mushy and soft and fairly smelly but not watery. Today I did strain a little to pass even thought it was soft. Also pretty gassy." that is the flagyl-ranitidine effect. Your right side pain (assuming the ovary is a little agitated biggrin is aggravated by trapped gas also by the way.

All the other aches and pains are from lying about too much, tension and part of recovery.

SO: You need to find a way to decompress, rationalize your sensations and try keep your mind off them while you nurture your system back to health. After antibiotics (and ranitidine) this will require fair amounts of water, repopulating your gut bacteria colonies by first-grade probiotics, fermented foods and as much fresh and healthy produce you can. Think soothing rich foods, healthy fats and protein blah blah. Start weaning yourself off chips and just reduce chocolate to normal amounts until you recover at least - you are not helping your body. And get the heck out of bed. You are not dying smile

Your anxiety does not sound TOO severe right now and is consistent with your age and current health and  hormone imbalance at puberty. However if it starts to escalate and you can't keep a grip on it you may need some assistance. I hope you are as you sound: smart, sassy and intelligent and will get informed and mature fast enough to take charge of your anxiety pretty quickly. All the best!

• Posted

By the way your dad sounds pretty smart and informed. You are lucky - most are quite clueless. Forgive him for sometimes losing his patience...it is not easy for him to keep up with a teenage girl: he never was one! smile Treat him to a green tea or something when you start detoxing smile
    • Posted

Wow! Thanks for such an informative and detailed reply. I was on flagyl for 7 days, 200mg 3x a day. The ranitidine I'm supposed to be on for 2 weeks with 150mg once before bed. But that being said I haven't really been taking it, I took it on Friday and Saturday night I think but then stopped, probably because I thought it would worsen the pain idk.

Today I swear my pain has gotten somewhat worse but then again I the doctor didn't say "you don't have that" which is what I'm used to hearing, instead he said to watch it and if pain worsens go to ER, so I guess maybe I started imagining that the pain in my right was worse and therefore I felt more pain? Besides when I press on the tender spot the pain feels like it's close to the surface and I can't imagine that the appendix would sit close to the surface but I'm no expert.

All my anxiety over things like this connects to my fear of vomiting, I have heard of people with appendicitis who can't stop vomiting until they finally get into surgery. So it's become one of my most feared medical conditions despite the fact I think you only have an 8% chance at getting appendicitis in your lifetime, and apparently guys have a higher chance of it than girls anyway, nice!

I am actually getting counselling for my irrational fear of vomiting which should then clear up all or most of my health worries too along with a few other anxieties completely irrelevant to all this.

I guess I'm just wanting to know how long this pain and tenderness in my right side will last, I'm not as concerned about the pains I've gotten else where in my abdomen because they feel different and similar to non concerning pains I've had before, this right side pain is just new in a way I guess!

Man anxiety sucks, I'm generally a well informed person about so many different things so it's weird how anxiety can just make me throw all that knowledge and rational thinking out the window!

Once again I thank you for your response!

• Posted

No you are right, the appendix is not thatclose to surface and the pain it produces is not directly palpable - like you correctly pointed out initially. The closest to the surface from that perspective is your intestine (which may contain trapped gas - give it time to clear up), bladder (may be a little inflamed and will resolve with good hydration and not holding urine in too long and then ovary. If it is the ovary it can take a couple of weeks or more. Generally should ease up after your next period (are you regular btw?) if it was a small cyst and if it is a mild inflammation can take a while longer. My last bout of ovarian inflammation (for which i was given flagyl coincidentally as it wouldn't go away biggrin lasted about 3-4 weeks. Flagyl in your case may have upset the balance of microbes making the ovary a little vulnerable. It is likely not anything to worry about. Don't keep pressing down on it to check if it still hurts you may be simply aggravating it and prolonging the discomfort smile If pain persists for more than another two weeks or worsens notably (and without doubt biggrin  you can ask him to refer you for an ultrasound to check your ovary and bladder. I honestly do not think it is your appendix given your current description.
    • Posted

And fear of vomiting is not uncommon. But knowing that you have vomited in the past and survived should be always at the back of your mind. I refuse to vomit unless i can't help it...which hasn't happenned in almost 20 years LOL. I have been lucky. Always dreading the next time! :D And ranitidine would not worsen the pain in your lower right abdomen. But will slow down digestion. Take it as prescribed for 2 weeks to let your stomach lining heal and then start probiotics and yoghurt and whatever you can. In fact while googling instead of symptoms google repopulating your gut with good bacteria and stuff like that. At least then you will be productive smile
    • Posted

I'm pretty sure I'm regular, I'm not one to track my menstrual cycle, but yeah I mean last week while at the doctor I informed her about how I frequently need to urinate even after urination and so she did one of those urine tests with like the colour thingy and basically discovered I was severely dehydrated As in she had never seen someone so dehydrated in her life, so I mean that may be a factor. (I have struggled with dehydration most of my life, I nearly died when I was 8 from not drinking any water for a week.)

I also thought maybe it's possible to some sort of muscle strain? I actually had cross country like 30+ hours before the pain started (not sure if it can take that long for muscle strain pain to arise) but I mean I only ran for 30 seconds and then walked the remaining 3km trying not to puke, I didn't actually realise just how unfit I had gotten, to think just 3 months ago I was able to play a full 90 minute game of soccer covering multiple positions due to being undermanned. But yeah I dunno maybe I strained something.

Oh well I guess I'll just roll with this for now and start getting my life back on the right track and get back into my healthy state. I better stop pressing on it too, I'll probably cause it to bruise soon but it's hard to stop testing for tenderness.

• Posted

Oh one more question, it wouldn't be concerning for the pain on my right side to have periods where it gets worse and then eventually gets back to the dull state? I've been having it get sharper and then die down after a few minutes
    • Posted

well thanks for mentioning your sudden reintroduction to mobility LOL yes you may have strained the ligaments around your uterus or a muscle. But you are all sensitive now anyway and the best you can do really is just start moving slowly, eating better definitely hydrating more (to avoid problems later down the line - you don't have to drink 8 glasses but at least drink enough to make your urine run clear!)  and the aches should subside either way. Funny...i would have thought, in an anxious person a brush with death from dehydration would make one drink water religiously smile Everyone is different. Best of luck. I am sure you will be up and running full speed in no time. You sound really bright and i think you will pull through this patch nicely.
  • Posted

Had the same issues awhile ago. Try looking up IBS which can be caused by anxiety and vice versa. I to struggle with anxiety and hypochondria so when i felt the same feelings off to the ER i went and nothing was wrong other than IBS which can suck.
    • Posted

Sorry to butt in...She can't worry about IBS until she sorts out her diet and cleans up her body from the antibiotics and H2 blockers. It is probably not IBS. If it is she can only suspect it a year from now or so...

• Posted

Dont know why a year it would take to diagnose IBS but either way gastritis and IBS can be treated pretty close. Ranitidine is nothing more than prilosec otc and alot of antibiotics can cause stomach irritation so i would talk with the doc about dicylomine.
    • Posted

I did not say it takes a year to diagnose IBS smile She does not have IBS. Her body is messed up by antibiotic and the likely unnecessary ranitidine administration (for suspected gastritis...). She has no symptoms of IBS because all her symptoms are consistent with post antibiotic fall-out and anxiety. I meant, a year from now IF she has GI symptoms, AFTER her body has regrouped from medication and parasitic infection she mentions (without specifying which) etc, she may worry about IBS if need be. Right now she is eating chips and chocolate, has just wiped out her gut flora and ranitidine makes it difficult for her to digest food properly. It is really rather clear. I fail to see how suggesting she has a chronic illness will help her focus on her most pressing issue: getting out of bed and recovering from her viral infection, antibiotics and bad diet. And getting a grip on her health anxiety. She is 15 years old...By the way, Ranitidine may be available otc but it is not as straightforward as most would think. It messes with your digestion and it disturbs your nutrient absorption as well as hormonal exchange. So once her body has detoxed I am pretty sure her mild GI symptoms will ease up. If they don't that is another story.
    • Posted

No. the doctors in my family killed that fleeting desire. I am a researcher by profession and a degree in psychology. Though I have worked in a local medical college for some time as part of patient communication training (assisting in training students how to take history, synthesise the findings and derive diagnosis/plan of action). Why?
    • Posted

I think i covered that part in my first response to the original poster but since you ask, i can be more specific...I have actually recovered from GAD following a total of 12 years of treatment. (In case it is relevant I am 7 years symptom free of which 3 therapy free too). I also have GI issues for which I am taking medication (gastritis and ulcer) specifically ranitidine. And gynecological issues with inflamed ovary  for which i was given Flagyl. If I understood the nature of your enquiries correctly smile if not...why? smile
    • Posted

I came onto this website about 3 months ago I found it very helpful everyone in the same boat reassurance and advice when necessary.

I have had depression for 16 years the anxiety only started 4 months ago.

I find your posts very pushy and you seem to be the type of person who thinks they are right all the time.no one elses opinion matters

This forum is to make people feel better about themselves.people like you are making it uncomfortable to be on

• Posted

I am not sure why my disagreement with someone here would make you feel uncomfortable. You may assert whether or not i am the type of person who thinks they are right all the time after you get to know me, which would necessitate more than one discussion. Much like i can't assert that you are the type of person who tends to complain and feel victimized all the time based on one post smile I have taken a lot of value from everyone's experiences reading these forums for a while now actually before ever joining. It helped me make sense of GAD from real sources other than just my university books and lectures and own excruciating experiences. I have not posted here at all until recently and I interfered in someone's suggestion a total of one times. This one. As you said everyone is looking for reassurance and advice when necessary. In this case,  a well-meaning hypochondriac, advising a 15 year old budding hypochondriac (despite presenting history and confirming she has been seen by a doctor repeatedly) that she may have yet another illness that her doctor did not catch (...) is not reassuring to the 15 year old girl. It implanted more doubts. It is not about opinion at all. Just good sense. If there is another illness to contend with other than her (very clear) symptoms, her doctor will point it out. She needs to learn to trust her physician not question every bodily sensation as a possibility he missed something. I would have thought everyone here is here to feel and get better and not to feed theirs and others' anxieties?
    • Posted

This is a calming forum not a confrontational one.

It is not for people on this site to diagnose others

We give an opinion

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.