Anxiety arm pain - heart or anxiety?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all!

I landed myself in a&e the other night where they done and ecg and some blood tests. They told me my heart was fine and now today I've had pain in my left arm and shoulder sad my brain is telling me it's a heart attack and I can't shake the feeling! I'm terrified! Has anyone else ever felt like this! Btw it's only been 2 days since I was in a&e ...

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you are so scared.

Your brain isn't telling you it's a heart attack. You are telling your brain it's a heart attack.  You are getting symptoms because you have convinced yourself it's heart related.  The tests don't lie. Your heart is fine. 

Anxiety is the culprit. It causes hundreds of symptoms, including pain anywhere on the body.  

The more you panic, the worse the symptoms get.

The only way to get rid of symptoms is to calm down your brain.

Do an experiment.  Listen to "mindful breathing meditation guided 10 minutes " on you tube. This is very important to learn when you have symptoms. Use earbuds for a better effect. The focus is on the present moment.

Also, Listen to meditations for anxiety. They totally calm down my mind and body and symptoms.  They teach you how to separate yourself from anxiety So symptoms diminish or go away.  

Dont let anxiety and fear control your life.  You take charge.  You have to have the attitude of " I'm ok. I have this symptom but it will subside." Then go right to the breathing technique.  

Your gonna be OK. 😀??

• Posted

If the tests came back fine you have nothing to stress about! I have always had chest pain/tightness from my anxiety. And during bouts of severe stress and anxiety I have pain in my arm. I just remind myself I'm okay and this is something I feel from having anxiety. Wishing you peace of mind! <3

• Posted

Hi brother i have same feelings for 3 years it’s all In our mind connect with me in my Whatsapp 0071504657579

• Posted

Sorry this number 00971504657579
    • Posted

I'm trying to find someone to talk to who has similar arm pain as I do. Could you please tell what you're feels like?

• Posted

I have severe anxiety i was in the royal hospital this morning with severe lower arm pain and rang ambulance had a resting blood pressure of 100 im 19 by the way didnt know it was normal till i had a heart trace and ecg came back perfect yoga helps with breathing and your mind will trick u into beliveing your having a heart attack my gp told me that with anxiety if it is severe enough you will experience heart attack related symptoms but in actuall fact ia that anxiety can mimic a heart attack for your pain try paracetamol over the counter pain killers but make sure your not allergic to this
  • Posted

Did you ever find out the cause of your arm? I have health anxiety REALLY bad and I've been having pain in my upper left arm for about 3 days. Of course I'm certain it's serious and I feel like I should go to the ER but that's what I always do. sad

• Posted

Ecgs and bloods would highlight if there was something of concern. Your pain in your arm and shoulder is likely because your tensing the muscles, an effect of the worry and stress you're putting yourself through. You're in 24 hour fight/flight mode and your body is getting prepped to react to a threat that isn't coming.

Best thing you can do is try some calming technique's, deep breathing and maybe book in to see your doctor to see if there's an anxiety treatment they can recommend. Best wishes x

• Posted

Hi there! I hope you are feeling better by now! I experience very similar arm and chest pains, almost always on my left side. Ofcourse, anxiety is the devil, so I am always convinced I am having a heartattack. Long story short I ended up going to the ER because of the pains and heart palpitations. They did an EKG, blood work, and a chest X-ray...and everything was perfectly normal. Im still struggling a little bit with the arm and chest pains from time to time but I always try and remind myself that its just anxiety smile
  • Posted

Hi how are you doing i have the same thing always thinking im having a heart attack i get sharp pain in my left arm scares my went to hospital last year told me its anxiety . are you feeling any better
    • Posted

Hi, I would say that I am feeling slightly better... depends on the day. As for the pains in my arm... I now have random pains in both of my arms. I asked my doctor about this and she dismissed it by saying "anxiety causes a multitude of symptoms." That's fine, except these pains are random and out of the blue. They don't happen only when I'm anxious. I went to the ER several weeks ago and they did a bunch of tests and said everything looks fine. She said I need to learn to trust. She said there is no point in having tests done if I don't trust the results.

My fear is that, what if I have arm pain that is cause for concern and I dismiss it now? There doesn't seem to be any explanation for my arm pain...

• Posted

I get the same thing it a nitemare you just have to take it one day at a time if you need to talk im here
    • Posted

Thank you ❤ seriously. The one thing that seen to help is talking to other people. Have you discussed it with doctor? And if so, what you did think the problem might be? JUST anxiety?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.