Anxiety at 5 weeks of sertraline, is this normal?plz

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started sertraline 25mg for 3 weeks and then 50mg for 2 weeks. The first 2 weeks were horrible with anxiety. The 3rd week I started to feel a bit better, no racing thoughts and little anxiety and i am coming up to the 5th week on sertraline and starting to feel anxiety again, my ears are ringing, I feel jittery and just don't feel like myself. Does anyone know why this is happening? I just want to feel normal again. I felt ok a couple of days ago, it just seems to be going up an down how I'm feeling. Ito making me think these aren't right for me. Prior to sertraline I was on escitalopram for 6 months which worked brilliantly until they just stopped working, I would of stayed on them but the dose cannot go higher than 20mg. Fed up of trying different antidepressants! 😔

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna I think the first few weeks up to about 6-8 weeks can be a bit of a rollercoaster and you will have up and doing an days. Hold out a little longer and you will probably get over your blip. If it doesn't improve after a couple more weeks you may need increasing. Hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

Thanks Tracy it just feels like your in a nightmare and just want to wake up from it. Thinking will it ever work?
    • Posted

Hi Donna I would agree with Robert on this 25mg is a small dose, the standard starting dose is about 50mg so you may possibly need to increase it. I take 75mg going up from 50mg to 75mg at about week 4. The disease can go as high as about 250mg I've heard but I don't think you will need that. Suggest a follow up appointment with your doctor might be on the cards.
  • Posted

25mg is not enough to be clinically effective or so I read from others on this forum

The 1St 3-4 weeks of 50mg are hell (as per others comments on this forum)

I myself am approaching week 4. My issues have been anxiety and insomnia during the first 3 weeks. This is slowly getting better now but there are relapses even when people get used to the drug.

Somethings can be made better through lifestyle eg no caffeine after 3pm, having exercise,hot milky drinks before bed, camomile tea, yoga, whatever works for you

Sertraline is better than prozac.

My wife has duloxetine which seems to be a more female focused antidepressant.Maybe you could ask your doctor about that.

The doctors are finally open tomorrow.. Hope you can get an appointment and feel better soon.

Don't do what I stupidly did when I had sertraline and tramadol together. 2 drugs that should never be combined

Good luck

• Posted

Same her I was on ciprelex and it just stopped working then doctor suggested sertraline on it now 5 weeks and into the 2nd week of comming off it. Life is to short to put up with the awfull side effects of the drug anxiety, bowel and bladder problems, rash on hand, dry mouth,constipation, loss of appitite, weight loss...........so no more for me the odd anxiety attack is a walk in the park compared to the way this drug makes you feel before it starts to work.
  • Posted

Hi. I am having similar.issues with sertraline. Weeks 2 to 4 were horrendous with side effects. I couldn't see how something that is prescribed to make your feel better and less anxious could make everything so much worse! I even got acne! After 4 weeks I felt better.for a week and then two days ago a massive crash and exhausted nauseous tearful anxious not eating ...what the hell!@?? Others on this forum has said this is normal on sertraline? ? Hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

Hi Jane I'm glad someone else has experienced similar issue! I saw my gp today who said its probably your body still getting used to it. And for some people the good effects from sertraline can sometimes take longer. I think we should hang on in there a little while longer, I have had good and also bad days over the past 4 and a half weeks so that must be a good sign. You probably will notice little things changing first like appetite and sleep. Best thing to do would be to give it the full 8 weeks then we will truly know if it is going to benefit. I'm on propranolol which helps enormously!
    • Posted

Hey Donna . I was so down in the dumps that my side effects and anxiety had resurfaced after feeling brilliant for a week and having loads of energy and not feeling anxious. Then massive dip!! While I felt good I thought wow these meds really work. Maybe I am expecting too much too soon and give it another few weeks to get full effects. I think the roller coaster is hard to handle as you don't know when your ups and downs are coming and I feel it's hard to plan anything or do my normal things atm esp. My exercise with all the nausea and lack of appetite and my training is one the one thing that keeps me stable!! X
    • Posted

That's one of the things I'm going to start after the new year Exercise, it's good for serotonin and I also heard it boosts the effects of antidepressants! Must be something to do with metabolism. anxiety is excess adrenalin as well! Makes sense really doesn't it, tire yourself out with exercise then your too knackered to think of anything else! Worth a try 😊
    • Posted

It def works. Before all the nasty side effects making me too ill and weak to train my usual routine would be to go to gym weight trainjng or boxing most nights come home have tea then collapse into bed and sleep like a baby. I can't wait til I cam resume my normal activities. Now I am just walking and swimming which are still good for relaxation :-)
    • Posted

I always find it hard to join a gym just a confidence issue I think, but definitely going to give it a go after new year!! Even if I have to force myself to go! 😊
    • Posted

Well if the gym isn't your thing join a walking group or cycling group even if there are ones in your area. You'll likely fins other women there for the same purpose and get some social benefits too. My gym is as much social as it is about the physical stuff but I can see how it would intimidate lots.of ppl joining martial arts gym. Find what works for you :-)
    • Posted

I'm sure i will find something I like, quite like the idea of Zumba as well. Pilates I don't mind going on my own neither I might try that again as its good for toning and muscle strength. Good luck with sertraline I hope it works out for you and me too also!! 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.