Anxiety at night-need help!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everyone I'm quite a frequent writer here but I feel it helps me when I share as this is the only place people understand what I'm going through!

My anxiety is alright during the day, then when night comes and it's time for bed it seems to increase, I feel like my heart is pounding and vibrating my whole body that u can't sleep & the reason I'm scared to sleep is cause I'm scared that something will happen to me in my sleep eg that I will die/ stop breathing. I wake up gasping for air sometimes during my sleep and I get stuck in dreams when I'm half asleep and half awake and jolt myself up when I realise- it's so scary/annoying I just want a good nights sleep which I use to love but now I keep myself up till I'm exhausted and finally fall asleep!! Has anyone else experienced this?/have any solutions??

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hans

are you on any meds?

lynda

• Posted

Hi Lynda, I am currently on proponanol which help to the extent my heart rate is lower although at night I feel like it just starts up again going so fast!
  • Posted

Hello, when I had a huge week-long panic attack back in October, I dreaded going to bed, so I watched TV to fall asleep, not getting any decent sleep. I used to drink a mug of chamomile tea before bed, it did help! I also used to try and think rational, I've random fears that I would wake up deaf etc, so I understand where you're coming from, it's really hard to do, but just think of it, what are the odds of you just dying like that? There's not even a 1% chance something will happen to you, when in bed, I find planning out the next day in my head relaxes me, even down to what I'm going to have for breakfast. When I think about what I'm going to do the next day, or for the week etc, it makes me forget about those horrid 'what if' thoughts. Have you tried any herbal remedies for a good nights sleep? I've heard mixed reviews, but I took some over the counter herbal tablets about last year for sleep, they are not so much for helping you drop off, but keeping you asleep without disruption from your mind working overtime.
    • Posted

Hello, thanks for sharing- it's just so strange because before I got anxiety these thoughts would have never crossed my mind ever! I have tried a 'calms' tablets at night but I don't feel like they did anything, i will try drinking more green tea as it usually does make me feel more relaxed and healthy! Thanks again nice to know I'm not the only one with these thoughts!
  • Posted

I can't say how much I relate to this! Like I litterally used to think like that for years. I am not sure if this is helpful to you but for me, it helped to hang around with friends more and try not to be isolated as much as you can. 

Also, this may sound very childish but for some reason it really helped me. When you lay down to sleep at night, think about something you love. Sounds stupid but I used to imagine myself in my favorite fictional world and just get really into that and eventully drift off. It also really helped me to write down in a notebook all the scary things before i went to sleep just to get it all out. Or as a last resort, just sit with a pet or go online to forms like this.

Hope I could help.

• Posted

Yeah I feel like it was much worse when I say around the house constantly thinking about bed time! I thought I was getting over it, then last night I had the worst night and I feel like I'm back at the beginning again! That is also what I did, I thought of things I loved and imagined good things which helped me sleep with ease those nights. I just had a really off night that it has scared me right back to the start! Thanks for your advice xx
    • Posted

No problem! I forgot to mention it also for some reason helps me to not think about what time it is at night because it makes me stress even more when I know it's 3:30am and I am still awake. So I don't know if you experience that as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.