Anxiety attacks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Really struggling at the moment, today I've had 2 anxiety attacks, constant tremors and lots of tears, doc put me on 2mg diazepam but it's not helping, going back to docs tomorrow, does anyone have any advice or thoughts, I'm new to this site sad

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hope your doing okay, i know that thats not a great thing to say but i get really teary a lot too, it feels asif its the end of the world and feel so lonely. what i do to try and take my mind off things is take myself shopping by myself or go for a walk by myself, its enough to try and take the tears away but you dont have to surround yourself by people, its enough to keep ur mind occupied for a bit, it helps me anyway, hope this might help x
    • Posted

Thanks for replying, went to docs today was in waiting room doing fine then wham, massive panic attack, doc was great she sat with me for ages, trying to get me to focus on my breathing, knocked me for six, upped my diazepam from 2mg to 5mg and changed my anxiety meds to sertraline, I'm home now, still shaky and eyes sore with crying, still trying to come to terms with how quickly the attacks come on, just out the blue xx
  • Posted

I read these comments, and try to go back when I was having anxiety problems. The one thing for me was the anticipation of the triggers, For me it was driving, the reason was because I hyperventilated while driving many years ago. I know my triggers, I know what could happen, so I prefer to accept, not fight, then it's become old, not relavant, like old furniture, there, but you don't notice. I stopped paying attention, and it became impotent, not worth my time.

• Posted

That's the scary part for me, there are no triggers that I am aware of, I am fine then bang out of the blue I'm in full blown panic attack, today at the doctors was my worst yet, yesterday it happened 3 times and by the end of the day I didn't know if I was coming or going sad
  • Posted

when i have a panic attack, i start doing very slow abdominal or belly breathing.  i'll breathe in for a count of 4, pause for 3 counts, breathe out for count of 4, pause for 3 counts.  and then in time with the in-breath, i tell myself "in this moment" and on the out-breath "i am safe".

if you can calm your body by slowing down and deepening your breathing, it starts to send signals to your mind that you are not in danger.  and by hearing "in this moment, i am safe" it helps sink in the message.

there are many exercises like this - but this is the best one for me.  let me know if you want ideas for others.

best wishes - 

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying, it's really hard to focus and regulate my breathing when I'm in full force panic mode, I will keep trying my hardest though, been signed off work for a while so I have time to myself, finally plucked up the courage to tell my other half last night and he has been so supportive xx
    • Posted

i hear you!  if you can practice when you are not having a panic attack, it makes it easier when you are.  i also figured out that i get a "pins and needles" feeling throughout my body before/during attacks - which was me hyperventilating without realizing it!  so i'd focus on slow breathing, and then i could feel the pins and needles melt away!  so good!

it is wonderful that you talked to your partner.  for me, when i told my most loved ones what i was going through, what i was worried about, and got my courage up and asked "will you still love me?  have i disappointed you?" and each was so clear that they loved me, that helped too.

warmest wishes .... please keep writing in .... 

• Posted

For me, maybe based on my age, and the fact that I used to give so much thought to the anticipation of a panic attack that, I just grew out of them. Sort of if there was a bully, waiting for you to walk through their neibirhood, and then attack, well the bully got old, as did I, and the whole fight, or run syndrome was no more. Maybe to some here the panic thing is relatively new, fresh in your minds. feeding off of your thoughts because it's conditioning like an announcement,, "are you READY!" Well, it got really old, so old tha the fear credibility wore off because it was a sham to begin with, a punk with nothing to back it, except big talk, with no bight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.