Anxiety Attacks

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello Ladies,

Since this whole hormonal business has started I have been thrown into anxiety. I vaguely remember having a little anxiety as a kid going through puberty but my mom said I did. Well fast forward to now, I know that some of the sensations and symtpoms can make me feel anxious to the point it plays on my mind.

But what I didn't know was that I have been expierencing panic attacks. It just hits me out of nowhere and has me frightened to do anything. I can be driving, watching tv, or cooking and then all of a sudden I start to feel tingly all over, my heart starts racing and thumping hard, and then I begin to shake uncontrollably. It takes a while to calm down. Does anyone else expierence this just out of the blue? And is this considered a panic attack?

I have been prescribed antidepressants but I rarely take them. Just wanted you all's take on this.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

That sounds like panic attacks.  My mom had debilitating ones during her peri years, couldn't drive or be home alone, etc.  Mine are not quite that bad (so far), but they do come out of nowhere and leave me thinking that I'll never be normal again.  It does take time to calm down from one.  I did have bad ones years ago when I was diagnosed with Crohn's and was on prednisone daily for 2.5 years - panicked and cried all the time, had chest pains and shallow breathing, racing heart, low blood sugar, etc.  That stuff ruined my body but got my disease into remission.  I tried Xanax back then as advised by doctor but was afraid of it and stopped taking it.  Regarding your anxiety as a child, did you ever have any digestive distress with it?  Pains or anything?
    • Posted

I didn't as a child. But I do now. I dont seem to digest certain foods well and I keep a lot of gas. It has gotten a little better to where I have started driving and going out alone but I don't like to and don't go alone if I don't have to. Everyone says it will get better but it isn't looking like it.
    • Posted

I can relate, definitely struggling with digesting certain foods.  With the Crohn's, it's always been a struggle to eat much in the way of fruits and veggies, but it's worse with peri.  Started taking supplements this week to try to fill in the gaps a bit.  Growing up, I often got pains in my right side when especially anxious or fearful, and that's where the Crohn's turned up at diagnosis.  Anxiety is the worst!
  • Posted

I went through this about two months ago to the point that I was in the emergency room 3 times in 4 weeks and had to be sedated. They finally gave me hydroxyzine 20mg. and all the anxiety and panic attacks has gone away. I feel like my normal self again

• Posted

I don't have them a lot like I did at first. But when I do get them it's scary and horrible. And it blows my mind how it just comes out of nowhere.
  • Posted

hi jamie, are you sure these are not hot flashes but without the heat? i have started to get what I now think are hot flashes, i get a funny feeling out of nowhere and it sets off anxiety but I am stating to wonder if this is the dreaded hot flashes only i get too panicky to accept that that is what it is and instead think panic attack?
    • Posted

Hi,

I thought about that. That could be my version of a hot flash. I just hate that it comes out of nowhere. Again, I could be driving, or watching tv then I start to feel all tingly inside and I can literally feel it rising from my legs, to my stomach, and then to my chest, my heart starts pounding almost to the point I can't catch my breath and then I start shaking, but not cold or anything. It lasts for a few minutes then it goes down but takes me a little longer to stop shaking and get myself together. When it first happened it scared the daylights out of me. I went to the ER a few times and they were looking at me like I was crazy and that didn't make it better as they never found anything wrong with me. I always left there feeling like a hypochondriac. Now I am on the 4th day of my period and two nights now I have woke up in the middle of the night with my heart racing, dreaming crazy, and my body clammy with sweat. Then I get cold and put the covers on. I feel like I'm going bonkers at times.

• Posted

Hi Jamie I to get it if I tense up, the gasman came round my heat pound s bit I felt funny coldness over me couldn't wait for him to leave this horrible for us all ,I have had something like what you had at Macdonlds I was waiting for my meal and I started to get nervous and then I shake my tummy with the nerves going off not nice I pray pray pray that's all we can do
    • Posted

I used to really flip out when it first started happening and I really made it worst. Now I just let it happen try to take deep breaths and pray it passes quickly. Just so scary when it's happening. I hate that it makes me scared to go out. I want to enjoy life and I'm single and want to date but I'm frightened of not knowing when it will hit. When I do go out, I'm on edge the entire time and trying to do whatever I need quickly so I can get back home. Sounds crazy but it's the way I've started to feel.
  • Posted

Dear Jamie,

I have suffered panic disorder in some form over the years due to me hating open spaces but i have been able to control that to a certain extent but since meno out of the blue i have had two panic attacks while driving, one i knew was coming because i felt it by the way i was thinking (like i need to get out of here) i think im worse if i have someone with me! , but the other time it just suddenly hit me and the next minute I am hyperventilating! The other day out of the blue i had one and i was at home feeling relaxed so that shocked me, the only thing i can think triggered it was a couple cups of tea and some coffee, pretty scary for it to happen out of the blue like that, also i feel more anxious going places now x

• Posted

The good thing, I don't get as much as I used to, but when they happen, boy do they hit hard. Like you, I can sometimes feel them coming on from the thoughts I'm having. I don't like the out of nowhere ones. It's so overwhelming when they happen out of the blue. Every time I went to the ER, they kept asking me did I have anxiety disorders and I kept telling them no because I never had and had no idea that I had begun to expierence panic attacks. The other symptoms I can deal with but the anxiety takes me to another level. I am working on not letting it cripple me from everything but its a hard process. I still feel like I need someone around all the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.