Anxiety attacks, how about you??

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I seem to be a little different with my anxiety attacks, weather they are health orientated or not.

my understanding that most anxiety attacks last say 20 minutes and can be quite severe?

But for me i find mine can go on for a few hours and then some,with waves of fear,emotion, some pains, tingling etc etc passing over me, but at a less sever level,(still scary as hell though) one minute I feel fine, the next back to overwhelming fear and the circle goes on, usually until it dissipates or I actually fall asleep from being exhausted from it all.

I'm currently sat upright in bed unable to sleep yet, but hopefully coming to the end of yet again another scary attack.

Also, near the end of my attacks I always seem to end up in tears and sobbing quite a bit, it does seem to help for whatever reason, and seems to let a lot of that emotion go, tis a bit of a pain though, my wife is very understanding and I usually ask her to sit with me, and for some reason even though she doesn't ask I seem to want to explain what im crying about and I'm not even sure🤣🤣.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I feel your pain!! the only time i don't feel like im in a anxious mind, is if Im drinking or asleep. that is great you have a support system. after after years of marriage I finally opened up to my husband and he has also been great. I truly am scared to talk to him some days though because I'm afraid I'm going to push him away because of my crazy thinking but so far he's been there. I have health anxiety too really bad and I lived with physical symptoms every single day that Villa take me by the end of the day I get so exhausted by the time I get home from work all I want to do is sleep

• Posted

it really is terrifying, it's bad enough having any form of anxiety but couple it with health too, and there is one evil circle.

I'm still up at nearly 1am, and touch wood this attack is nearly subsided, so hopefully I can get to sleep before having to be up for work!

my wife is the only person that knows just how badly u can be affected at times, as I very rarely have an attack anywhere else, I believe the general thought by close family and friends is that im just a bit of a worrier/hypochondriac.

I can live with that, it's hard enough trying to understand the nutty way over exaggerated thoughts of impending doom and death to myself at times when I have attacks, let alone others.

I do believe you should talk about Anxiety, and I do believe if I wanted to I could with few friends, but it's is a hard thing to do.

I also hear ya about maybe not saying all the crazy thoughts to your other half, I do the same I mean im sure she can deal with what I say now, but some of the nonsence thats goes through my head at times has me questioning if I've lost the plot.

• Posted

what a lovely supportive wife you have

my boyfriend thinks im being dramatic and doesnt even check on me!

• Posted

tbh I think the wife does most if the time when I'm panicking about something seemingly minor, ie a headache that I think is some deadly disease🤣

that said I sometime thinks it helos to put it in perspective so I realise sooner that I am sorting over nothing.

But yes when I'm in the middle of a serious (for me at least) I think she realises that I just sometimes need to go through it.

• Posted

I've had both kinds, the 20 min full on panic and then totally fine, but I've also had just constant lingering anxiety for days with a tiny, quick panic attacks here and there.

I call what you are having just mini panic attacks lol. Not long enough or severe enough to be full blown, but still a quick state of panic that leaves you feeling very upset. I also find that crying helps me feel better too. Luckily my family is very supportive like your wife is for you.

• Posted

it's amazing how much an attack large or small can take out of you.

I usually feel totally buggered the next day, and today is no exception,

However that said it turns out I am actually ill🤣. nothing serious probably some sort of 24 hour bug, I actually came home from work early, very uncommon for me as ive not a sick day for 6 years.

But that coupled with the panic attack the night before literally took it's toll.

May also explain why the panic attack seemed to have more symptoms than usual , because they actually were a thing this time 🤣 typical right!!

• Posted

When you're body isn't in good health it def makes the panic/anxiety worse -_-

Anxiety takes a toll out of you so much already, and then add on illness physical symptoms lol. Definitely exhausting, mentally and physically! Use this as an excuse to get some much needed rest and relaxation!

• Posted

Hi Jason,

Have you tried CBT?

• Posted

I haven't. I have done a little bit of homework on it though, always happy to learn more.

I eat thinking if giving this cbd oil a try.?!?!?

• Posted

I've not heard of it (just googled it now though).

How did your anxiety/panic come on? What was the history of it? When did you first have an attack?

I used to have panic attacks regularly but am pretty much over it. So if you need help let me know as I've learnt alot about anxiety over the last 5+ years

• Posted

my earliest memory of a panic attack, is around 11 years ago not long after my eldest was born, and somewhere around 9 months prior was when id given up smoking weed.

I think the combination of both certainly played a big part in adjusting my thought pattern etc.

that said after being quite bad for a little over a year at that time,I had previously up until a couple of years ago had no hint of a panic attack or anxiety what so ever,

right now anxiety plays a big part in daily life, but actual panic attacks now only occur every couple of weeks sometimes can be every couple of months which is the biggest reason why I don't do anything about it really, as although it does have a knock on effect for a couple of days after of feeling quite bad, once that subsides I can be good for quite a while. it's like I easily forget how bad it is at the time!!

• Posted

I initially self diagnosed as having "panic disorder" or "GAD, generalised anxiety disorder". I now don't think that panic/anxiety is a disorder.

I think the body gets conditioned, ie it links a feeling, (anxiety panic) to a stimulus (ie situation, location).

I think that the body is easily conditioned when it's highly stressed. I link the onset of mine to when i was going through a lot of stress.

a) Have you heard of Pavlov's dog?

b) are you familiar with the body's fight or flight response?

• Posted

I understand the premise of a,

And am quite familiar with b,

• Posted

The first step is understanding that the panic is just your f+f response going off when it shouldn't.

An analogy i heard is "that one car in the street whose alarm goes off when the wind blows". It's the same thing.

Trouble is, you need to believe it. When you start to get one, do you have a thought "oh no, it's happening" ?

• Posted

i get regular attacks. i can be fine for days then something will bring one on. i get scary symptoms...shortness of breath is a horrid one, anyone get this? i sometimes feel my heart is racing when it isnt, like my body is quivering? i also get an all over feeling, kind of like butterflies in the tummy but not in a good way! it takes over my life alot. i hate it!!

• Posted

yes nearly every time, my hands get tingly, butterflies that make me feel sick, almost gag like?!?

And a massive fear of dying, and while most if the time sleep does help I find it almost impossible to lie down, but all this is normal, as panic attacks are essentially your body dumping a load at adrenaline, for the fight or flight instinct, yet stupidly enough most of us,myself included have an attack at home for no reason. And consequently have no need to run or fight, and therefore end up sitting, standing, pacing with no way to get rid of the adrenaline, easy you think, do some exercise right? Or some such similar activity, but no, as while that may help, the overwhelming fear that the tingling and or palpitations are a sure sign you dying you therefore don't want to aggravate it?!?

Its a horrible circle to be stuck in, that's for sure, and most people find some way through it, sometimes it is simply exercising, maybe cleaning, walking, or some simply cry and sit through it( usually my option).

there is no easy answer that solves all. But there are a lot of people out there suffering the same or similar,

often times I find coming on here and reading of others struggles can help to take my mind off my own, or maybe just distract me enough to get through the next panic attack a little easier.

Hope you feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.