Anxiety Attacks (intense shaking, rapid heartbeat, heart palpitations)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just made a profile on here in the hopes that someone might be able to help me or have any advice/tips for me.

I've been dealing with anxiety for about 6 years, and I've learned a few coping methods. However, lately my anxiety attacks have been getting worse and more frequent.

Lately I've been more anxious about everything, but the scariest part is that I started experiencing heart palpitations, which I've never had until the past 2 weeks. I've been trying to deal with the anxiety attacks like I always have, but I get so scared whenever my heart starts beating faster or harder that it's difficult to make myself realize that I'm okay. Even if I know why my heart is beating fast, like if I just exercised, I still start to get anxious.

The palpitations first happened when I was lying in bed one night. It didn't last long, it didn't hurt, and I didn't feel dizzy or lightheaded, but it was enough to scare me badly. Now I've become afraid to sleep or even just lie down. It's gotten to the point where I sleep-deprive myself so that when I do lie down for bed, I fall asleep quickly. It doesn't always work though, like tonight. Even though my anxiety attack is mostly over — after an hour of shaking and doing breathing techniques — every time I lie back down to try to sleep, I feel my heart start to quicken and I feel my limbs begin to shake again too. I feel exhausted now, my body aches from the shaking, and my chest area hurts too.

I'm currently enduring some pretty stressful family and personal issues, so that's probably starting to build up inside since I'm forced to keep my feelings in, I live with toxic people, and I can't see a therapist or get any sort of help, but I've never had anxiety this bad before, and never had this many attacks over the span of 2 weeks. This is why I turned to a forum, which I've never done before.

If anyone on here has any advice or tips or anything at all, please let me know. Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hiya

This happened to me. I have never has anxiety before but I was on my way to work and suddenly my heart fluttered. Then my heart would not stop beating. I went to the hospital and my heart was beating so fast that my heart rate reached 140bpm. I then has an ECG and blood tests and everything came back fine. After this I have experienced all sorts of anxiety symptoms and can not seen to shake them. The doctors prescribed me anti depressants but the only thing that makes me depressed is the anxiety as ito constantly there! Although having a check up really helped my heart to slow down as I had the re-assurance that I was not going to die or have a heart attack!

Have you seen your doctor about your heart?

• Posted

I haven't seen a doctor yet, though I was supposed to go sometime this week. Financial issues and insurance are stopping me from going now because my family doesn't have a lot of money to pay the fees at a doctor, especially if I actually need serious help.

The last time I went was about 3 years ago, and they did blood tests and checked my heart, but everything was okay. They told me I had anxiety, should take better care of myself, and that I could see a therapist if I wanted, but at that time I didn't feel the need to go to one. Now that things are getting worse for me, I want to go, but my current financial and living situation doesn't allow me to get the help that I probably need. I want to go so I can have a professional tell me if I'm okay or not.

I've learned a lot about anxiety and the many symptoms it has, and I'm almost completely sure that I'm just anxious and worrying for nothing, but it's so unsettling when my heart beats faster when I try to sleep and I start having an anxiety attack.

• Posted

Hi Riley13

i have the same attacks as you and also get diarrhoea and vomiting 

I use this technique when I feel it happening I scream bring it on in my head is that the worst you can do 

I literally fight fire with fire 

I tell myself no matter what it does it can’t kill me and I am stronger than it and remember that by the next day it will of gone but I will still be here 

I know this the oppposite of lots of advice that tell you to try and be calm but for me this didn’t work but I honestly feel if I laugh it and say how pathetic the anxiety is it seems to subside quicker 

I guess it’s finding the right mental place and approach that works for you

i am sorry you feel you have no suppport I know how lonely living with can be ... always here if you need to talk and don’t forget your not alone x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.