Anxiety based

Posted , 3 users are following.

So my anxiety is awful, docs put me on sertraline but I couldn’t cope with side effects I have my driving test coming up so that is making me anxious so now she is trying me on beta blockers just to see me through my driving test then she is going to start me on other medication after and sighn me off work to deal with the side effects. So can anyone tell me how I’m going to feel taking beta blockers?? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Should be calm and normal.  When I first took atenolol and went for a walk I kept waiting for my pulse rate to rise, but it never did.  So I cut the dosage.  Now it acts a little more normal, but it's still pretty obvious.  Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hello rosebud123...Nobody can really tell you how you'll feel on beta blockers any other thing. We are all individuals with different bodies, therefore what is good for one person, is not good for another. Some with experience side effects, while others don't experience any negative effects at all.

I have been on 50mg/day of Atenolol for 2 1/2 yrs. I am absolutely fine with it. Yes, there are side effects listed in the leaflets, but that doesn't mean a person will indeed have those side effects.

Beta Blockers slow the heart rate, it does not increase it. If the Dr. says to cut down the dosage, likely the heart will beat a little fast. I dont' know why your doctor would put you on a beta blocker just until you have your driving test. Once one starts the beta blockers, you are NOT supposed to suddenly stop...beta blockers must be weaned. How do I know this??...because two people I know very well are Pharmacists, & I got the valuable information from them. Drs do know a bit about medications, but I say a bit because what they know compared to a Pharmacist is just that...a bit.

• Posted

No she’s going to wean me off them onto other medication after my test if I need to if these aren’t helping at All

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.