Anxiety, been signed off work and my employer wants a medical report? HELP!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this so please be nice! Iv been off work now for 6 weeks with anxiety and low mood. My doctor has put me on Setriline and I'm still struggling. My profession requires me to be somewhat 'on the ball' and it can be extremely stressful. Iv had 'fitness for work' certificates and sent them to my work showing that I'm unfit for work. I'm currently in the process of starting some talking therapy and I will probably be doing CBT.

I got an email from my employer today saying :

"To help us to fully support you with your return to work we would like to obtain a medical report from your GP. We as a workplace have been advised that due to the length of time you have been off, this is the most appropriate next step. This will enable us to have an insight into your conditions and help us to potentially change your working environment to facilitate your return.

Therefore you will be receiving a letter from us in the next couple of days requesting your authority for us to contact your GP."

As you can imagine, this has sent me into complete panic and my anxiety is going wild right now.

What does a medical report mean? What will I have to do? Will they have access to all my medical records? Will I get to see the report? Can I refuse?

My employer knows I'm off with anxiety and low mood, so I don't understand why they are doing this?

Thankyou for any replies!

Amber

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I think it means a sick note off doctor basically describing your reasons for being off sick, they are trying to help you get back to work, they need this for proof of statutory sick pay for HMRC and their own records. Don't worry I am in the same position, I need to get a sick note off my doctor but was scared because I didn't want work knowing the ins and outs of how I am, but they have been really supportive and said I can go back to work gradually to ease me back in. Try not to worry.
    • Posted

Iv already supplied them with multiple doctors notes saying exactly why I'm off. I don't understand what else my doctor could tell them!
    • Posted

They may need in depth details of how hour symptoms will effect your work, and that way they can sort out any shortened hours u will work.
  • Posted

Hi Amber,

sorry you haven't been well and this email won't have helped. As I don't know who your employers are and what your company policy is I can only speak of my own experiences. I worked for a local authority and to be honesty they didn't have a clue when it concerned mental health. I wish I knew then what I have since learnt. Anyway, just thinking of data protection, they can only request what is relevant to your  situation now, so they will be unable to see all of your medical record. Is it normal for them to request health records if anyone is off for a long time and to be honest 6 weeks doesn't seem to be very long. Do you have a return date, cos if you haven't this request seems a it premature. ACAS are really good so maybe worth a telephone call to them. You are not obliged to. 

• Posted

Give your permission . As you say you have given them sick notes from ur doctor. It maybe that your company have their own doctors and he may liaise with your GP when the time comes to return to work. Take care and don't worry if that's at all possible
  • Posted

They want you to give permission to see your file at the doctors, you need not except as they have no right to it and thats why they are asking for permision. You have a note from your doctor saying unfit for work and at the time thats all they need
  • Posted

First of all you go to your GP with a copy of this e-mail and ask him what this actually means. He will tell you what will happen when your employer contacts them. (If you can't get to the surgery then call them and tell them what has happened and tell them your concerns) It's not a sensible idea to refuse and your doctor cannot refuse them. How the medical report is made up is down to your GP so you need to try and contact him before your employer does.
  • Posted

Thankyou everyone for your replies. I will make an appointment with my gp and see what they think. I think i have to sign something first anyway to give my permission,so until I've been to my gp they won't be allowed to contact them.anyway.

I'm guessing my gp will go into more depth into why I'm signed off work, which I'm not keen about to get honest. Id rather keep my personal and home life separate from work. They know I'm off with anxiety and low mood, what else do they need to no?!?

• Posted

I've never heard of this but I assume it's just your company covering their backs. I don't think your dr will share any confidential information, it may just be a more detailed account of what aspects of work you are fit for.

i wouldn't worry about it, maybe give your dr a call and find out what it is?

• Posted

Hi Amber

1st of all sorry to hear of your current situation

I too would be asking myself why do they want a medical report when they

Already know the answer

Is it a more in depth report

Or just based on your current situation

Anything other than this is useless right ?

they may be trying to establish how much longer your going to be off

They may be thinking of a phased return

And any adjustments you may need

You can ask to see the report

And if you don't agree with what is written

You can ask for it to be amended

If your doctor is ok with you I doubt

He' ll hinder your employment

How long have you worked there ?

What is it that you do ?

• Posted

I work with children. Iv been there 11 months. My Dr has been really supportive
    • Posted

Ok thanks for that

Having a supportive Dr is a bonus

Make him / her aware of the situation

And work together

There are plenty of sites relating

To this . Information is there and lots

Of it if you need more

Best of luck

• Posted

Hiya,

I had the same thing last year, but it was for a different condition that my workplace were fully aware of. Your GP will write a summary of what's been happening with your condition etc. Just like a statement going over what's been going on etc.

you don't have to let your employers have it, i refused mine as we're I worked it was a complete gossip shop, even H.R!!! They were fine about it but a little annoyed. I gave them every neurology letter I had, sick notes and kept them well upto date etc.

Every workplace is different, but I didn't want mine as I felt it was really personal and my GP actually agreed with me.

• Posted

They do not have access to your whole medical record, just what has been the current issue. That was my concern but my doctor reassured me that my medical records are mine and for me and doctors only. Hope this helps smile
  • Posted

Iv had numerous panic attacks today about the whole situation. They tried ringing me aswell which has made things alot worse (iv told them I'm really anxious about speaking to people on the phone and I'd rather communice via email)

It feels like things are getting worse. It feels like they are gathering information to prove I'm not capable of my job. I just need more time off work to try and battle through and it feels like I'm not getting enough of a chance.

Can they dismiss me as I've been off for a little while? Surely I'm covered by some kind of law when being signed off by a doctor?

• Posted

Hi Amber

Just read your last post .try and stay

Positive regarding this situation

I know it's hard not to make assumptions and throw all sorts

Of scenarios at your self

You've done the right thing by seeing

Your Dr and getting signed off work

If it gets to a time where you need

Support regarding your employment

And to know where you stand

If your in the UK you can contact CAB ( citizens advice bureau )

And / or Acas

I've noticed your not keen on phoning

So you can email both ( response may be slower )

But I wouldn't do that until you really

Needed to

Hope some of that will help

Regards daz 101

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.