Anxiety before period

Posted , 9 users are following.

Im 42 and obgyn thinks Im going through peri. The thing that bothers me most is the anxiety. At 40 I suffered my first panic attack outta no where. I went to ER. Then many times after. They put me on sertraline. A year later I went off it. Now Ive pinned down the anxiety to the day or 2 my period begins. Anyone else have this issue? I feel like a crazy hormonal lunatic. Oh and ever since I had that first panic attack at 40 I cant go into big stores or crowds. Its too much stimulation and I get anxious. 2 years ago an ENT said it was vestibular neuritis which goes away in a month. But now looking back Im thinking this has also been my crazy hormones. These have been my symptoms since age 40:

Brain fog, anxiety, heavy periods, fatigue, forgetfulness, longer cycles, sore breasts more frequently, intense cramps, stomach issues. So ya I accept Im changing. It sucks. The anxiety bothers me most. It can be crippling. Anyone else experiencing this? How do u even deal with it? Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm 43 and started having the same symptoms. After several trips to the ER, CTs, Stress tests, Echocardio exams the doctors found nothing. My blood pressure is always high 3 days or so before my period and also days after my perriod. All that would make my anxiety go crazy. Let's not forget my heart palpatations, sore breasts, cranky attitude, constipation and headaches. I finally went to seemy GYN and she told me I was definately in peri.

I copeby preparing my self when i know it's time and try to breath through the episodes. My PCP wanted to put me on zoloft for anxiety but I've been very wary about pills...After all I'm not this way all the time. I take a very low dose blood pressure medicine so that I wont worry myself and try to take herbal teas, maganesium supplements and excerise as much as I can.

A lot of us are having the same things. Hang in there.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. Im glad to read other womens stories. I dont like taking medicine either. Im trying to tell myself when a wave of anxiety comes its just my wacky hormones so ill calm down. Again thanks for your tips. Ill give them a try.

• Posted

these are the exact symptoms ive had now for a.little over 2 years. ive always had the anxiety but now with the peri they all just get worse. i try to write them down each month before my period so i can identify the pattern. some of them have gotten easier to deal with i guess because i know they are coming. i also take a blood pressure pill because i was getting heart palpitations and my BP was always elevated probably because i was stressing myself out over it. breathing exercises and yoga does help to keep your mind balanced, also a good diet and more rest will also help. hang in there.

• Posted

Thank you. I have to meditate I think just to have so calmness. Ya I have a yoga dvd i could try. You too hang in there!

• Posted

YES.. I have terrible PMS symptoms. Right now I have terrible anxiety and I just started a heavy period. The anxiety makes me feel worthless and that makes me want to cry. For me it's like 2 weeks of this stuff--- uncontrollable eating at first. sore breast- like when breastfeeding. anger and rage. anxiety. blurry vision. exhaustion. at times bad stomach cramps. high BP, left breast pulsing. the bottoms of my feet hurt and at times my knees too!! All because of this drop of estrogen! The BP goes up and down which is so frustrating!! I say it's high-- Dr says it's OK so it must be the hormones or I'm more relaxed at the Dr's office.

• Posted

Im sorry its hard for u too. If it makes u feel any better I cried last night when i had anxiety. Its awful so i understand. Sounds like youve been through the doctor tests and reassurance too. Im glad were not alone at least. This will pass some day we just need to hold on. A great book thats helping me is Jump Off the Hormone Swing. Check it out and thanks for sharing.😌

• Posted

Everything that all of the ladies have said is 100% how I feel. I suffered from anxiety in my early 20's, but overcame it. I thought I would never have it again. Yet, here I am a bundle of nervous energy all day long. It is different this time because I don't think it is mind over matter. I can't convince myself not to panic because often it is part of the hot flash. I read that during a hot flash you body emits adrenaline. I can't compete with that mentally. It is truly an awful feeling.

• Posted

I get anxiety too with hot flashes. I feel ya. It always makes me feel more is wrong. All of this has led me to major health anxiety. Its depressing. I think somehow we need to allow ourselves to connect these symptoms to what our bodies are going through. I wish there was a magic pill to end our periods once we are done having children..lol. As others say hang in there. Better days will surely come. Ive been reading and journaling a lot to get my feelings out.

• Posted

ditto to everything you said!! 😦

i have a therapy session today.. still off balance dont want to go but need too

hard to when i cant walk a straight line ❤

• Posted

Did you decide to go back on the sertraline? I have done the exact sane thing, when i started going through peri 8 years ago i began having severe nausea and then i started having the extreme panics and like you a super walmart set it off! i cant even think about going to a walmart or any store without getting anxious and nauseous! I cant taje the generic zoloft as its poison to me but im thinking of going back on the name brand, i havent been able to go anywhere for over a year now, i feel so trapped! Im tired of feeling nauseous, anxious and now depressed. I havent had a period for 114 days but the symptoms havent let up much and yes i noticed the anxiety was a hundred times worse before and during my periods

• Posted

No I wanted off the sertraline. Never went back. I really just started reading lots of books on dealing with anxiety plus Im in counseling which helps me deal. Im sorry u feel so trapped. I was like that. I just made myself take baby steps and go outside for walks, go in stores for one item. Anything to push myself. Just remember anxiety is not going to kill u. Thats what I do. I say bring it on Im not scared. Good luck and stay strong through all of this. Youre not alone💗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.