Anxiety before sugery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have shoulder surgery Thursday the 21st. I would like to hear your surgery stories. Good or bad I want to know how it went. From pre-op, to post-op please share. I am so,nervous, was anyone else nervous??

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lauren. 

Don’t worry too much about it. You mentioned shoulder surgery? What surgery is that?

• Posted

I can't offer any advice as I am in the waiting period too.  But want to send good thoughts your way!  Keep us posted when you can. 

• Posted

Hi lauren348,

I am one week po from having my left shoulder rotator cuff repaired. Surgery was 12 Sept and I was home that afternoon. I was given a nerve block as well as a general. I didn't feel anything til the nerve block started to wear off on Wed. I was given Oxycodone and something for nausea caused by the oxycodone. One or two tablets 4 to 6 times a day as needed. I only took one Oxycodone the first day and another that night. On Thursday I switched to Extra Strength Tylenol during the day and only took one Oxycodone at night. My biggest problem was the fact that it is my left shoulder, I'm left handed and I can only sleep on my left side...triple whammy...smile I have to keep my arm in a sling for 6 weeks, then will start PT. I can take my arm out of the sling several times a day and let my arm hang by my side, flex my hand and fingers and bend my arm at the elbow. NOTHING more than that. and NO driving!!!! So far compared to my TKR two years ago, this is a walk in the park. I don't know what PT will be like after not really using my arm for six weeks, probably not a lot of fun. Will have to build those muscles back up. I only have 4 little 'holes' in my shoulder covered with band aids. I could shower the very next day which I was happy about. Washing my hair with one hand is a lesson in patience. All in all, with some of what I've read in the shoulder forums, I got off easy. I've had people say shoulder surgery is worse than a TKR...I really have to argue with that because it is NOTHING like a TKR!!! We are all different, feel pain and heal at different rates. But I would not sweat this surgery, if your surgeon is worth his/her salt, you should be fine. I have on other problem only because I sleep on my left side and of course I can't with my shoulder in a sling, so I take 'cat naps' whenever I feel sleepy and hope that gets me enough sleep. Good luck!!!

• Posted

Hi pyesangel,

Curious how you are doing?

I'm 8 weeks post op and still in a lot of pain. Had left arm surgery July 31st. Right shoulder tear was in 2006. What a difference 11 years older makes. I worked from home then and was back on my computer 2 days after surgery. Used a TV tray to prop my arm up. My wrist and hand worked fine. I couldn't work now if my life depended on it.

I can't Advil, ibuprofen, etc due to stomach ulcers so just take Tylenlol. I ice and use heat all day.

Wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hi Amac1218,

So far so good. Had my first PO check up on the 25th and had the stitches taken out. Haven't had much pain since about the 3rd day PO. I had to stop the Oxycodone because it 'tied me up' big time.  Since then I've only taken Tylenol or Advil. My biggest problem is sleeping. I have a 'wedge' with my pillows on top of it but I still don't sleep well. The surgery was on my left shoulder, I'm left handed and can only get to sleep on my left side...triple whammy... wink  I have three more weeks in the sling, which I usually only wear when I go to bed. The doctor said I could forgo it during the day, as long as I kept my elbow at my side and didn't try and lift anything or move my arm away from my side. Can't wait to start PT, I think it will NOT be fun. Getting the range of motion back and the strength after not using it will be a treat... I look at it this way, it can't be any worse than PT when I had my TKR two years ago, and I survived that.

Sorry to hear that you're still in so much pain 8 weeks later. I know what you mean about not taking ibuprofen or Advil, I had a stomach ulcer, so I have to watch when I take Advil. Usually only on a full stomach and not very often, mostly Tylenol. Hope your pain lessens, getting that under control is half the battle. Hang in there...as I was told this too shall pass.

• Posted

You have a right to be anxious; any kind of surgery is serious, but please remember that the doctors do these almost on a daily basis. I have had both shoulders done with tears in front and back. My first one recovered better than it was before my injury.  I am just starting my therapy on the other shoulder this week. "Pyesangel" above has it nailed. Sounds exactly like mine. My surgery was 8/18/17 and my shoulder already feels better than it did before surgery. Sleep is hard, but a recliner will help. Give your shoulder a couple of days before starting your exercises.  Hang in there! I saw a sign at PT yesterday that said: "I didn't say it would be easy! I said it would be worth it!"

• Posted

I hope your surgery went well and you are recovering. Everyone has a different journey. I felt the rotator cuff surgery was not as painful as the bicep tenodesis...which the Dr decided to do during surgery...it was a surprise to me. My nerve block wore off by the time I was home from the hospital unfortunately but I was not needing narcotics after 4 days and just used Tramadol and tylenol after than. I did sleep in recliner for 3 nights and then put a wedge on the bed with lots of pillows to prop the arm on for the next few nights. Yes, nights were the hardest trying to get the arm comfortable. I am not 8 months post surgery. I can say there were ups and downs. The first 6 weeks in the sling was the hardest but I was driving after a month. I did remove the sling and place a pillow (left side) to protect the arm but was adequately able to use it to drive short distances.  Dr's will vary on the driving rules. You do need to handle the car safely. gaining the range of motion back was a slow and somewhat painful process but by 10-12 weeks my range was back to normal. then the strengthening began...also a slow and somewhat painful but satisfying process. I did not return to work until 6 months because I am a PT and needed to be able to handle patients safely. I did do a lot of walking/hiking until I was able to get back on a road bike at 3.5 months out. I waited till 5 months before getting on mtn bike. I am still working on regaining strength, and there are days where then tendons burn and the biceps aches and burns. I'm not a young chick anymore...with other injuries that I deal with...so I would say that I am doing pretty well. I hope you have a full and smooth path to recovery. 

• Posted

I LOVE YOUR STORIES!!!  Me too...nearly normal nine months two surgeries, one fired PT, and moving onward.  Second PT is AWESOME and pain-free.  Same surgeon (and surgical team) who is a superstar.  
  • Posted

Well I had the surgery, but at my follow up appt after 2 weeks post op my surgeon said my rotator cuff was intact. He said i had 2 tears in my bicep, a huge bone spur and he drained my bursa. I am 3 weeks post op and I am in severe pain especially at night. I took the percocet and my Dr said no more. I have been taking about 4 tylenol ever
    • Posted

Every 4 hours. I cqnt take nsaids and the ice is not helping. I am going to call my os and make an appt before my next fu on the 18th. I dont think i will ever get my arm back. Sorry it took so long to reply i had alot going on and i cant sleep during the night so i sleep when i can during the day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.