Anxiety Blog/Youtube Channel to help others. Good or bad idea?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey everyone, I know this is a little off topic, but I've been on this forum for about a week now and have seen how many people feel they need help but aren't getting it from their GP's etc. I try and reply to as many posts as I can, but it's difficult. I'm no expert in Anxiety, but I have had GAD, Health Anxiety and Social Anxiety since I was 14 (now 21), so feel I have a good amount of experience in it! I've been thinking of setting some sort of Youtube Channel or Blog up to speak about lots of things, Anxiety being one of them. What do you guys think? Good or bad idea? I just want to help people and if I can help even one person, I'd feel like I'm doing the right thing. 

I'm sorry it's off topic, I'll delete this thread once I get some responses.

Thank you x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Very good idea, Youtube channel seems to be very nice
  • Posted

The problem is....that while sharing good safe advice is a great idea,invariably untrue and downright dangerous information as shared. As nice as it is to think your doing something to help, would you want it on your conscience if someone acted on bad advice and ended up worse because of it? I know I wouldn't!
    • Posted

That did cross my mind. However I was thinking of talking about my personal experiences and what has helped me, rather than giving specific advice as I'm obviously no doctor. It's definitely something I need to think about in detail before I make a decision.
    • Posted

I understand where you are coming from,one thing to bear in mind is your journey and what helped you is personal to you. It may not work or be relevant to others, and what helped you may be very bad for others. A support group is fine, but to keep it a safe place where only support is given and not advice (which from non professionals can be a critically bad idea) I think would be a mammoth thankless task. I don't mean to be discouraging but I think it's a good intention that may lead you down quite a dark path. My advice would be to enjoy your recovery, be thankful for it,help others if you can and want to if they look for it,but don't try to be everything to everyone, I don't think it will help you in the long run.
  • Posted

It might be Ok but you may well leave yourself vulnerable to attack from bullies either on the internet or near to you.

rich

• Posted

Hmm, I didn't think of that. Definitely something to think about. Thanks Rich
  • Posted

I think it's a great idea. I am in the process of setting up a support group in my local community to meet up once a week to support each other. Nothing available near me at all, and I live in London. Shocking.

I think you would have to do your research and maybe get some professional support - the practice manager at my gp surgery has been great getting me in touch with people.

I am passionate about helping others. When I had my breakdown a year ago I was in a desperate position and although my health anxiety is still bad I am so much better. I would like to be able to reach out to people and let them know they will be ok when they are in their hour of need.

If I can help at all please let me know. I don't really understand the concept of YouTube channels and stuff as I'm more of a chat it out over a cuppa sort of woman but let me know!!!

Go for it, be brave, do something worthwhile to help yourself and others. I think its amazing you want to help others like us. Good luck xxx

• Posted

Hi Alisha, this sounds like an interesting idea.  I have a suggestion to consider.  A lot of us who post here in the forums often find that other websites, videos, etc. that we read or watch make us feel more anxious about our health issues.  I notice that people will often remind each other not to search too much with Google because they'll find things that make them worry more.  You may want to think about how your video, blog, etc. will offer something positive.  It sounds like you have good intentions and I hope you are able to make this work.  Take care.
  • Posted

It's great that you want to help people!

Some people might comment mean things, though.

Maybe a book is a better idea?

• Posted

Please do we all need help i am sure you will get loads of support and thanks from the people you are going to help.

Best Wishes and waiting. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.