Anxiety caused acid reflux & heartburn and vice versa

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good day guys ... Has anyone here also experience having anxiety while having acid reflux and heartburn? Or you have heartburn and acid reflux when you have anxiety ? I notice mine are always present. How do you cope up?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hiya. Yes, when I first started having anxiety about my heart, it turned out that most of what I was feeling was heartburn and muscle tightness. I've tried to change my diet quite a lot to avoid that feeling, because it's not good for you and it makes my anxiety so much worse. So I eat a lot more whole foods, I stay away from coffee and fried food, and I generally don't eat late. For some reason if I eat popcorn (which I love) right before bed, I'll wake up with acid reflux super bad....so that's a no-no for me. 

Drink lots of water. Try to eat healthy when you can! 

Nicholas 

• Posted

Thank you nick ill keep that in mind. When you have refluxes what medicine do you usually take?
    • Posted

Tums can help! Pepto Bismol can also be good. Lots of OTC meds are available, but try drinking lots of water first. It may go away on its own. 
  • Posted

I used to get that, but I got tested for celiac disease and H-pilory. After going gluten free and taking antibiotics for the H-pilory, I have not had heartburn since, except if I forget to drink water. Other then that, I can't help you. Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Oh yeah acid reflux and anxiety anxiety and acid reflux go sit in the middle your chest make your heart pound I agree little bit of both

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.