Anxiety caused depression waves that come and go.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was suffering from anxiety so my doctor prescribed me Klonopin; it worked for a while then I got depressed. I look up information on the internet and found out that Klonopin causes depression. So I went back to my doctor and was prescribed anti-depressant paxil. And I asked her for the anxiety medication xanax to help me till the paxil kicks in. The doctor did not want to as t first but then went ahead and prescribed the xanax. I went ahead and looked up xanax also and it can cause depression as

well...what the hell? Now I have two conditions. The doctor also prescribed me Buspar too help with anxiety yet it has lots of side effects as well: 

dizziness, nausea, headache, nervousness, lightheadedness, drowsiness, blurred vision, restlessness, dry mouth, upset stomach, stuffy nose, sore throat, ringing in the ears, excitement, and insomnia. AGAIN WHAT THE  HELL.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Every antidepressant has side effects, in many cases 2-4 .  I tried like 20 and they did nothing for me and I mean NOTHING besides giving me side effects.  Xanas and Diazepam were the only 2 that helped and I had to stop xanax because it also gave me a side effect but did work fine for sometime.  Now, for me it was easy to get out of xanas because I always took a low dose and the same with Diazepam which I'm still taking (low dose) because I still have one medical condition so my Doc is waiting to see if the problem is resolved so he can get me out of it.   Now, for some people they do work and every person is diferent. But at the end you still have to change medication because side effects will kick right when you start or at the long run when it comes to antidepressants
    • Posted

Thank you for the insight, I feel okay except for the waves of depression which comes two or three times a day, and also in the morning. But if I get up and get a hot shower for 10 minutes it gets me feeling better. But I did forget to add that I do have insomnia as well, I use to use alcohol to try and sleep but I finally stopped, now I'm using the xanax to help me off to sleep along with warm milk. Hopefully the waves and side effects will subside soon. 
  • Posted

Benodiazepine medications have their uses but can cause depression, a lot of people find them helpful for short periods such as adjusting to medication and waiting for it to work but really the whole benzo family is the cause of a lot of problems.

Saying that you may not get any of those listed side effects, everyone is different and it's easy to worry ourselves by reading the possibilities.

Anxiety itself can make you very depressed so obviously dealing with that will help a lot although I appreciate that Paxil wont work instantly, I would try not to panic about the depression, I know how awful it is but take a step back and remember that with the Paxil you should get relief from anxiety and depression and when you are no longer needing a benzo like Xanax you will probably find that the depression will lift quite a lot anyway.

Don't stop Xanax suddenly but do think about how you will reduce it when you no longer need it, I cannot stress enough that these medications are awful for depression so the key is to focus on your long term plan and that will be to wait for the Paxil to work and then gradually remove the Xanax.

• Posted

Quit being trying to be your own doctor! Yes it can cause depression. Medications have to be listed with every side effect possible, lawsuits, etc.  Not to mention medication affect everyone differently.  Your antidepressant when working fully will conteract the depression.  But you also need to be in the solution of dealing with your depression, CBT, positive thinking, etc, and not wholy rely on medications.  Meds. are to help your mood to focus on other solutions.  That is why medication and counseling are recommended together to get the best benefits of overcoming depression and anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.