Anxiety causing heart racing

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, would like to know of the safest and best beta blockers for panic attacks that are causing heart racing, I'm already on 10mg of propanolol which helps 70% of the time but they cause nausea and if I take a higher dose will probably get worse nausea, thanks.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

anxiety 44550...As you may already know, beta blockers slow the heart. You're experiencing nausea while taking propanolol at a 10mg dosage. If you're sure the propanolol is the culprit, taking a higher dose very likely will result in more nausea. Do not adjust your medication until you consult with your Dr. He/she may prescribe something else.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for reply, yes I want to try a different beta blocker, a one that I can take once aday instead of 3-4 times and also a one that will cause less side effects. I heard atenolol is best for the least amount of side affects and also only need to take once a day.
    • Posted

anxiety 44550....I take Atenolol & have done so for about 3 yrs now..no problems. I take 50mg 1xday.

I strongly suggest you consult your doctor. Please let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks Mike, I'm planning on making an appointment for doctors this week, are u from UK? As idk if UK doctors prescribe other beta blockers for anxiety.

• Posted

anxiety44550...Glad to know you're going to make an appt. to see the Dr. this week. I'm in Canada.

Some doctors will prescribe beta blockers to help with anxiety while others will prescribe something else to help calm you. IF you're going to ask about Atenolol...be sure it's ATENOLOL...I'd be very inclined to stay away from Metropolol. They are different, & please don't let anyone tell you differently.

One is fat soluable (Metropolol), while the Atenolol is water soluable. I got this very valuable information from a Pharmacist friend of mine. A few years back, I was taking Metropolol & suffered headaches so bad, they frightened me. I came off for quite some time, then my Dr. had me take Atenolol...no problems whatsoever. I take my meds in the morning..then I know I've taken them for the day..no worries about forgetting. My current Dr. prescribed the Atenolol to be taken at bedtime, but I asked if it was ok to take them in the morning with my other meds. He said it was fine. I did explain of course that if I take all my meds in the morning at breakfast, then there's no worries about forgetting.

My previous Dr. who I thought to be an idiot...had me taking the Atenolol 25mg 2x daily. Even the Pharmacist asked about this, saying..."this is meant to be taken just once per day". My current Dr. said there was no need to take 25mg 2x day..ok to take the 50mg in one go...which is what I do.

Just to give you the headsup...beat blockers should never suddenly be stopped. You must wean. Of course if you were just on them for a week, there very likely wouldn't be a problem with suddenly stopping, but I would be very inclined to check with the Pharmacist about it. 

Again, please let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks Mike, do u take for anxiety too? Also do they cause your heart rate to go so low? I think I will try ask to start the lowest dose possible and if needed after a week or so I will see if I can increase the dose.
    • Posted

anxiety 44550...Well, my previous doctor prescribed the Atenolol for bp control & he thought I was a bit anxious as well. Little did he realise that his attitude was bothering me; his nurse(s) didn't take bp properly (the cuff was very loose half the time), my feet were dangling from the exam table, etc.etc.

He also gave me the impression the medication not working was my fault. I think it's because he expected what he gave would work. I found him to be a young cocky-know-it-all. I went back to my original Dr., & the meds have continued. YES, Atenolol lowers the heart rate...& when the heart rate is lowered, down comes the bp. My pulse averages 60bpm...& my doc is just fine with that. 

Again, consult your doctor.

• Posted

I can't get in to see my doc, for a couple of weeks, could of seen a different doc but I rather see a one who I know. Hopefully he puts in on atenolol to stop these horrible palpitations and to be able to feel normal.

• Posted

You have to wait a couple of weeks to see your doctor. Yes, you can see a different one, but I think it's best to see the doctor you know. Your doctor MAY suggest a beta-blocker..but if you truly are interested in Atenolol., you're quite within your right to express this. Frankly, I would not even consider Metropolol..

Also, your doctor may say..."they're the same"..but believe me..they are NOT. 

While waiting to see your doctor, try to relax as best you can. Go for long walks., watch relaxing movies...do what makes you laugh., etc. 

I hear you when you say..."able to feel normal". I got up this morning with a headache...sore neck. It's becoming the story of my life, & I'm at the end of my rope with it. I too shall be seeing my Dr. in just under 2 weeks & I'll be letting him know that I need to know what's going on with me. While tests come back negative, something  most definitely IS going on...somebody needs to find it. Nobody gets muscle spasms in the neck, & pounding headaches along with nausea several times/week. That's not normal. Also, one shouldn't feel 'something working in their system"., which results in them feeling ill.

Enjoy your time...

• Posted

Thanks Mike, can u drink alcohol on atenolol? I don't drink much only special occasions and it's usually only 1 or 2 drinks. Hope docs get our conditions sorted out soon.

• Posted

anxiety 44550...When I drink, it's beer. All my meds are taken in the morning, including the Atenolol.

When on holiday., I do have a few glasses of beer in the evening, but I'm not a big drinker by any means. I may have 1 or 2...that's about it. 

• Posted

So it safe to mix? Also how do u think u should bring up atenolol to doctor?, I don't want him to feel like I'm telling him what to do lol. Thanks.

• Posted

I'm not sure what you mean by "so is it safe to mix"? If you mean that I take all my meds at once,...yes, it's ok. By the way, Doctors here in Canada DO NOT prescribe an ACE & ARB at the same time. It's one or the other. You CAN take of course, an ACE, Alpha Blocker, Diuretic. OR an ARB, Alpha Blocker, Diuretic, AND believe it or not...Amlodipine.

As for asking about the Atenolol...you could always ask about taking a beta blocker. There's nothing wrong with that. If he mentions Metropolol...I'd be very inclined to say..."No, I'd prefer Atenolol', then state why. Honestly Bud..I'd never ever go anywhere near Metropolol again.

• Posted

Hi Mike, when I said safe to mix I ment drink alcohol and when taking atenolol. Thanks again, less than a week for my appointment.
    • Posted

As with any medication, one must be careful when drinking. I take all my meds in the morning..with breakfast, that way I don't have to be concerned about missing a dose. Taking my meds in the morning includes the Atenolol, which is 50mg. If you're planning on drinking, don't be drinking several glasses of beer, wine, or mixed drinks. A couple of drinks should be fine. 

• Posted

Been to docs this morning,she put me on 25m of Atenolol. Now I'm nervous about taking it. Haha

• Posted

anxiety 44550..I must say in all honesty, your screen name is very appropriate. You wanted to try to get the problem sorted, so your Dr. has prescribed 25mg Atenolol which is not a strong dosage at all. RELAX!!!
    • Posted

Thanks mike,it's just from reading peoples posts about it and making heart beat go slow has made me anxious about it. So I'm wanting something to stop my heart racing, now worried it will make it go to slow... Lol can't win with anxiety.

• Posted

anxiety 44550...Yes, beta blockers including Atenolol does slow the heart. Slowing the heart can reduce bp., which is why I take Atenolol. You are on a very low dose. The dose of 25mg will not make your heart go too slow. Your doctor wouldn't have put you in jeopardy like that. Relax...stop looking for something to worry about.

• Posted

What is your normal heart rate before taking your Atenolol on a morning and what is it after? Also did u see your doctor yet? Thanks
    • Posted

anxiety 44550....I'm not going to get into the meat of your question. I'll ask YOU something. What does it matter what MY normal heart rate is before taking the Atenolol in the morning, then afterwards. I take all my meds at the same time..the bp meds, Atenolol & the potassium chloride. Don't get into taking your pulse before & after taking the Atenolol. You're inviting anxiety to set in again. Just take the meds!

Im on 50mg Atenolol 1xday. You're just taking 25mg.. Get on with things. The more you dwell on it, the worse it will be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.