Anxiety causing lots of nausea???

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys, not sure if anyone has experienced anything like this before. basically approx 6 years ago, i started very randomly with nausea quite constant and gurgling tummy etc. What followed was lots of tests and things to try that i thought would help such as: stool tests for inflammation, h-pylori, blood tests, endoscopy, colonoscopy, hida scan, lactose free diet, gluten free diet, fodmap diet, peppermint, ginger, anti nausea tablets from the doctor. nothing worked. the gastro discharged me with a diagnosis of ongoing IBS which i've had for approx 12 years anyway. I got depressed from feeling poorly all the time, so i was put on antidepressants, within weeks my nausea had gone. So me and my partner thought, it must have been anxiety? eventhough at the time, i didnt feel particularly anxious i dont think?! anyway, it didnt come back until i had a short break from AD's a few years back, so i went back on the AD's and it stopped again. Now i've been off my AD's for 8 weeks and its returned again.

Anyone else suffered similar? Obviously i'm massively swaying to it being anxiety related due to the relief the antidepressants give me from it. I completely stumbled across the 'cure' by accident due to feeling depressed and needing antidepressants all those years ago. very strange.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

yes, anxiety can definitely cause stomach, gastrointestinal issues. my gastroenterologist told me that There is a very strong connection between the brain and the gastrointestinal system so when we are stressed it can definitely affect that. That’s why you hear of people who are highly stressed who get ulcers. It’s that connection!

my anxiety that I’ve had since elementary school eventually caused me to have gastritis which was diagnosed by endoscopy. So I have the same thing. This is why it’s so important for people who have this to manage and treat their anxiety and depression because it affects other areas of our health. if your anti-depressants help with this, I would suggest that you stay on them. Relax your mind as much as you can. I also do online virtual counseling once a week that is helpful. Take care

• Posted

Thanks Jan. I have come off the antidepressants as ive been on them 5 years and my original one stopped working and then ive struggled to find another that doesnt give horrible side effects! So i've decided to come off and manage the anxiety myself. But my guts are in bits, lots of gurgling, pains and diarrhoea too, feel like im just full to the brim with wind! 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.