Anxiety causing more anxiety!

Posted , 8 users are following.

To make a LONG story short I have a dual diagnosis of anxiety and alcoholism.  To "ME" alcohol causes even more anxiety.  My doctor has been trying different medications but it seems all anxiety meds cause even more anxiety.  So, until we straighten things out and find something that works for me my doctor filled out FMLA papers so that I can have 3 days off a month for panic attacks.  I needed to take today off due to major anxiety last evening.  I got zero sleep until I finally fell asleep at 4 am and woke up at 9.  Not too long ago I received a text message from my supervisor saying this: 

" Just checking in to see if you think you'll be at work tomorrow? I have an admission and contract signing so I really can't be getting called in the morning to be the 2nd person?"  

Meaning I work in health care and my supervisor had to work the floor and do cares and meds this morning.  

So, now my anxiety is even worse thinking about the pressure of having to be there.  I know this is against FMLA rules for her to ask me if I know if I'm coming to work or not.  I said I plan on coming every day & that I don't plan the panic attacks.  

How can I calm myself down?  I've already drank 2 beer and I know that isn't helping.

Thanks for listening!  

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My anxiety is through the roof today and yesterday it is horrendous I can't sleep or anything it's like my head is full of air

• Posted

I guess when one has anxiety it's tough to help someone else.  I'm sorry you're feeling so much anxiety.  Mine is like restless body syndrome.  Just jittery all over.

• Posted

It's like u try and switch of but nothing works. I get restless as well no energy how long does yours last for

• Posted

I'm trying all different meds.  Nothing helps. I'm on Wellbutrin and clonazapam.....but any anti-anxiety med I try causes more anxiety.  I've had anxiety for as long as I can remember but lately the attacks last longer and longer.  This one has been over 24 hours.  Not normal!  

• Posted

It seems to me that you may want to deal with the alcohol issue right away. AA would also be a good place to vent where non judgemental people are there for support and to support others.

The only experience I have with alcohol and anxiety is second hand...other people's stories. I perceive that the anxiety will never be handled well until the alcohol is dealt with.

One of the very first things my doctor said when he diagnosed me with anxiety was that it was a good thing I wasn't a drinker. I asked him why and he said with high anxiety like mine, I would never get a good handle on it if I drank.

I have also been approved for a powerful medication for cirrhosis and was told the main reason they approved me was that I didn't drink. (No, the liver problem wasn't from booze, even though in my younger days I enjoyed happy hours.) I hope you get some answers that work for you, Kelly. Hugs

• Posted

I've read something that seems to be true with me:  Anxiety is not cured by putting an anxious person in the situation that makes them anxious!"  So many people have brought up AA to me.  I quit drinking back in 2002 for 11 years and attended AA for 3 months.  I hated it.  I started drinking 4 years ago and since trying to quit on and off I"ve tried AA again and it's just not for me.  Maybe the social anxiety of it all can drive me to drink.  I don't know.  But, I liked the people and yes, some were a bit judgmental.  Not all, just some.  

I agree that it's a good thing you don't drink having anxiety!  Dual diagnosis is awful!  

I'm planning on quitting "again" next week when I have a few days off of work.  I'm just so upset that my supervisor had the nerve to ask an anxious person (being me) if I'm going to be at work tomorrow.  

My liver was bad back in 2002 and prior when I drank a lot.  I just had it tested about 2 weeks ago and all looks good.  Sorry to hear about your health issues.  Thank you for taking the time to answer me.  And I hope I can get some insight on a few things.  Ox!

• Posted

Hang in there, Kelly. You'll work it out. You sound like a strong person. Sending a big grandma hug.wink

• Posted

Aaawww thanks.  I am strong but sometimes my weakness overpowers that.  
  • Posted

Substances will only make it worse. Alcohol, caffeine, and drugs are the enemy of nature. Have you tried cognitive behavioural therapy? See a psychiatrist!
    • Posted

I am seeing a psychiatrist.  I do believe substances make anxiety worse. I can avoid all but alcohol.  I did ok today until my supervisor sent a text asking if I'd be at work tomorrow.   I have FMLA for anxiety.  Asking me if I'll be at work just made it worse.  sad  

• Posted

have you tried nonalcoholic beer or mineral water . something to go to before going to the beer
    • Posted

I'm an alcoholic.  But, yes, I did try non alcoholic beer and it just made me want the real stuff more.  I'm just a loser sad 

• Posted

You're not a loser. Be a little bit proud that you're so needed at work

• Posted

Thanks!  I think I needed to hear that.  I love my job.  My anxiety and alcoholism gets in the way sometimes which is why my Dr wanted me to get FMLA.  I'm a Christian.  I finally started seeing a Christian counselor who has been digging deep into my anxiety.  Intense!  

I'm a continous work in progress.

• Posted

Alcohol is a depressant so it will give you more anxiety. Every time I go out drinking, the next day I have so much anxiety that I barely drink anymore. My experience with these type of meds is that it causes more anxiety until your body gets used to them. If you can hold out for that to wear off, the meds might help big time.
    • Posted

I'm an alcoholic.  I'll drink the anxiety away and then get the anxiety back again.  Vicious cycle that I'm hoping to stop in the next day or so.  

As for the meds....anything that causes anxiety is not going into my body.  I've given many meds time to adjust and they don't work.  

The only med I've been able to take is wellbutrin and that's more of anti depressent.  I'm immuned to that now.  Maybe my body reacts different and I should try a different anti depressent instead of anti anxiety.  

Any type of anxiety med - xanax, ativan, clonazapam - they all give me anxiety.  Once I take out the alcohol I should be 50% better.  I was just all anxious about my supervisor getting on me about my FMLA.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.