Anxiety coming off citalopram ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello , I've been on citalopram for about 2 months and from day one it didn't agree with me and my anxiety went up. I'm trying to slowly come off it however found my anxiety is worse than ever is it withdrawal or reducing the dose causing this ? I can't understand why it's so bad as my normal low level Anxiety was never as bad as this.

I'm now only on 2.5 mg but found when I reduced from 5 to 2.5 the bad anxiety started and it's currently unbearable

Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I too realized this drug was causing more anxiety for me after taking it for 8 years!  I withdrew myself from it abruptly....and yes the anxiety feels unbearable.

I researched and bought some Chaomile tea....and it does help....it is a "relaxing" herb and may make you feel a little drowsy after drinking it....but really other than that...the only other thing I found to help was "exercise".

So...take a brisk walk and buy some of this tea!   

I was fine in 2 weeks (after 8 years on 20mg)....and now I am on Wellbutrin.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the replies , so I was just a couple of weeks after you stopped that the anxiety improved ? It definitely increased my anxiety from day one but I was told it usually did that but to persevere but after 2 months I can't do anymore the anxiety is constant and a lot worse than it ever was before so it clearly doesn't agree with me. How did you go on feeling anxious for 8 years , you must be a strong person smile

• Posted

I just thought and Drs just thought I was  JUST a severely anxious person....made sense since it was continious for more than 8 years..lol.

I didn't realize it was the Ctialopram (or most of it was)...until I stopped the Citalopram...I stopped it because I had an interaction with too much Seratonin being produced from various drugs that were prescribed (being mixed)...and I have made a formal complaint to the Medical Board in the US against the stupid DR.

But, when I stopped the Citalopram..even thou I felt some discontinuation symptoms...I FELT better anxiety wise....and that is when I realized that SSRIs are probably not for me if they make me more ANXIOUS.

So now I am on a new antidepressent that is not an SSRI...and I feel better.

• Posted

I think these are probably the awful side effects from withdrawing, but try to stick to it cos you need to get it out of your system. Why don't you go to your doctors and ask for something to help with the anxiety whilst you are coming off the medication. You will start to feel better, I now feel as I was before Citalapram.

Good luck

• Posted

How long it did it take you to feel normal after stopping? How long and how many MG were you on?
    • Posted

I was on 20 mg for 4 days and it took 5 days to feel normal
    • Posted

Can I ask why you stopped it ? Are you on any mefication now , thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.