anxiety/depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I have read so so much about people's stories on depression/panic and anxiety.

Alot of people say they have been suffering for years. I guess I just want someone to clarify to me weather it means its been crippling for them for so long or they had it under control until an outburst happens again if you know what I mean.

As I get scared when I read theses stories because of hoe im feeling at the moment with agriphobia, anxiety and depression..

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It usually isn't always absolutely horrible, it just can take some time to learn how to deal with it and get used to the feelings and all. I know for me it's not always horrible, and I'm getting better. There are books that can really help because CBT is a very helpful way to solve anxiety long term. Look into books on CBT. The skills will help you deal with anxiety. It's usually a lifelong condition but that doesn't mean it's always going to be horrible 24/7. It just means you'll be more prone to having times where it's worse. CBT and therapy or counselling can really help. Even just being in contact with a doctor can help. Good luck.
  • Posted

Yes Tanya it can and will most definitely be sorted-out.

Worrying about it the way you are will only be causing you more anxiety than you need.

Cognitive behavioural therapy works for many people, and for others they may also need to be medicated, however the results are very good in the end.

• Posted

Hi Tanya, ive been diagnosed with endogenetic depression and anxiety meaning it's genetic so I'm prone to getting it, but it doesn't mean I'm "ill" all the time I just have relapses.

ive had it all my adult life but for most of those years ive not suffered but can say I've been pre disposed to it for over 20 years.

Hope that helps.

neil  

• Posted

Tanya, please do not feel stuck. I am 55 and have had panic attacks since I was 13. I also have Agoraphobia and PTSD. I was not able to leave my house at all for 2 years. So of course that is depressing. I just thought I was crazy. I was sent to a therapist by my son's school. It took 2 years of baby steps. And I mean baby steps. Like the first week I was told to just put my foot outside the door while standing in the doorway. This is the whole of it all. Facing the fears in a way we can deal with, and seeing that nothing bad happened. Each week I was told to walk a little further from my door. And each day do something to make you feel better. Like your favorite flavor of coffee, put on a little makeup, change your hair style, etc. It took me a while, but my car became my home away from home. I can now travel about 300 miles, with a "support person". I have not reached my goal, but it is way further than my self made prison. See a therapist and your dr. You can enjoy life again. I do have "setbacks", but I do not let them control me. Major stressors bring these on. Ask the therapist for tools to help you deal with stress. I pray you receive some hope from this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.