Anxiety & Depression After Surgery.. Need Advice!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm going on week 3 out of knee surgery. I had patellofemeral ligament reconstruction. Prior to surgery I was told that total recovery time would be 3 months but that I would be back to work in 1-2 weeks. I assumed that meant I would be pretty much healed and back to normal for the most part. Well like I said before, I'm going on week 3 and I still cannot walk, I'm still in pain & I am not able to return to work yet. I'm feeling very overwhelmed and depressed. I didn't have any PTO or vacation time available to take so every day I am off of work, it is without pay. I prepared a little prior to surgery  but I didn't intend on more than a week or so really so I'm starting to worry. Also, I do not work a position where I am able to sit so that becomes a problem when I am released to return to work. I talked to my boss about it and asked if there would be something I could do for awhile and he didn't act like they would be able to accommodate me. Being out of work, being in pain still and not being able to walk is all starting to really get to me. I'm feeling very hopeless. I'm currently having to rely on my boyfriend and Mother to help with daily living. I am a very independent person so this is really hard for me. I continue to pray for God to give me some direction. Some words of encouragement or advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Britt,  you are trying to run before walking.  You need time to heal you've just had an operation so have to recover.  I have seen someone with a knee operation recently and she's still in pain after 3 months.  It takes ages,  she's still in pain too and is taking a lot longer to recover.  Your boss needs to realise you've had this done and so do you give yourself much more time. 

• Posted

Thank you, Sam! You are right! I am just feeling anxious as I did not anticipate this. I appreciate your reply & encouragement. smile

• Posted

Hi aren't you entitled to any benefits?  If in the UK you should be getting either statutory sick pay or ESA.  If in others countries I don't know.  x

• Posted

I do not live in the U.K. We have PTO (paid time off) that  we acquire but I used all of mine for vacation in June. We also have short-term disability and long-term disability. I do not have a short-term disability policy but I do qualify for long-term after 3 months off of work so I do not have any benefits at this time, no. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.