Anxiety+Depression, grateful for any advice on how to cope with it

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anyone else have the lovely combination of these two? I seem be living with anxiety followed by periods of depression, a few times a year. Sometimes it is triggered by stress, other times, it comes out of the blue. Was prescribed antidepressants, they made me completely numb, so I gave up on it. CBT course - good idea on a rational level, didn't seem to do anything to calm down my feelings. On the outside, I look like a functioning adult, but falling to pieces on the inside. My closest family knows about this, but it feels like only people who have been trough it can understand what it feels like. I feel completely alone when it kicks in, losing the will to do anything, with very dark thoughts. An hour ago, I tried to go to the supermarket, suddenly started crying in the car and had to turn back. Curled up in the corner of my bedroom now (my dog is bringing me toys to cheer me up), wondering if anyone has ever managed to stop this vicious cycle... 

Thank you for reading this...

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Anna

You had a course of CBT, where you able to confront the reasons for your Depressive Illness. Generally to know what has caused your problems can help you move on.

Medications can generally help as long as you give them a chance too work upwards, five weeks will hopefully see an improvement in your condition. When it comes down to Depression and Anxiety there is little rationality especially with Anxiety so sometimes CBT  can  can introduce coping techniques for your health concern. Sometimes you may find various changes may help you move on. That has been the case with this part of Disability

BOB

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. CBT has definitely helped me understand how my mind works (as all other research that I've done trying to understand what is happening to me) but I still wasn't able to control my feelings. I know that medication requires time to start working and that sometines you may have to try different drugs, but I was worried it will affect my ability to work and make obvious to everyone that I am unwell. I literally had the same numb facial expression and was unable to react to anything, while still boiling inside. I guess that was the scariest bit - realizing that I wasn't able to help myself even though I was proactive about it. 

• Posted

Anna

Sometimes when advised to take medication we can get side effects, we all need to decide if the side effects  outweigh the pain you are suffering from. This sometimes can cause lack of concentration, and other problems the medication is known to have. Only you and your GP can sit down and discuss the good against bad effects.

With my medications I have to take everything into consideration, if I take medications to treat say Blood Pressure many of these drugs causes other problems as a side effect, this could and sometimes does cause problems and your GP will know that, regards side effects or contra-indications.

Nothing is really black or white, colours of grey needs to be considered

BOB

• Posted

I see your point and this has actually reminded me to make an appointment with my GP. And I did. Thank you! 
  • Posted

Hi Anna..

as u said only the person who went thru this understands what we actually going thru..I've also done CBT four sessions..but dint help much..as u know we have to try our best and do all the exercise regularly...I know sometimes it's uncontrollable and filthy..but we can come out of it..don't worry..you are not alone dear😊

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words, you have just made me fell a tiny bit better ❤ I hope you are doing well.
    • Posted

I'm having problems dear..but keep in saying I have this or I feel this won't change anything..so trying and trying. still when I see people suffering it's understandable..and I know dear how bad it is😔..

Be happy..we can do it...prayers

• Posted

Anxiety and Depression are very closely related, anna. They come from the same part of our brain. Having both conditions is quite common (I do).

Medication can help. Sorry you had the bad reaction to medication earlier, can you provide details to which medication you took? I have been on Paxil for over 25 years. It was initially prescribed for a condition of clinical depression I suffered when I was 38. But more recently I recognized that much of my 'excitable nature' that I thought was normal for me was really anxiety. I had been suffering from it all along and didn't recognize it!

I still take the Paxil (I am now 63 years old) and they had to up the dosage owing to some stressful legal problems I am going through now. After taking medication that long your body often becomes used to it and you either need to change medications or increase your dose. I am now taking 30 mg/day.

I would suggest trying another medication. There are many good ones out there today and they do a world of good. In addition, you need counseling, proper diet, exercise and good friends to talk to to help get you over these issues. 

You can get over the 'vicious cycle' with proper treatment, but you have to take the initiative. Look at anxiety and depression as flaws in our human brains. They are improper reactions to normal stress conditions. We have to reprogram our brains to react in acceptable ways to the normal stress we all encounter in our lives. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience, Phil and sorry to hear about your struggle. I hope you are feeling better now. Everything you said makes perfect sense.

I was prescribed Citalopram 10mg and it made me feel worse on the inside, yet completely unable to react to anything. I didn't think I would be able to do my job or any usual daily activities in such state, so I stopped. I have a degree in psychology and probably tend to believe more in psychoterapy than medication, but I am completely aware that it could be a chemical imbalance in our brains that makes us feel low and/or upset, especially when it hits so suddenly and for no apparent reason. I do try to live healthy and seek help, but on some days it just breaks me down and I am not able to get out of bed or do anything about it. 

Again, thanks for your thoughts, it's a very rational approach, which is exactly what we need to hear sometimes. Wish you all the best.

• Posted

Citalopram is an SSRI like the Paxil I am taking. I had a few 'side effects' when I first started taking Paxil over 25 years ago-vivid colorful dreams, light-headedness, etc., but they didn't last for more than a few months. Paxil made a great difference in my outlook on life, turning it from dark to light. It really worked for me.

Additionally, it doesn't make my thinking 'foggy' like the older anti-depressants did. I am a Research Electrical Engineer working for a major US automaker on Electric/Hybrid cars, so my thinking can't be foggy. I have to be clear-headed and I am on Paxil. 

But, if you truly believe that therapy can get you where you want to go, my hats off to you. Medication is always a last resort with me, but in my case-with clinical depression-it really saved my life. I was suicidal when I first was prescribed Paxil, I must have a genetic predisposition towards depression. It sure rectified that!

Best of luck and I hope everything works out for you!

• Posted

Good to know, thanks. Really glad to hear that you are feeling better now! Examples of positive outcomes can give hope to all of us with similar issues...
  • Posted

Hi Anna,

I hear ya. I’ve read this book three time now - Mood Therapy by David D. Burns. You should look into it. There’s a vast amount of info., and a couple little exercises that I highly recommend you do, regardless of how silly they may sound. 

Also, your dog! I have two Dachshunds, and I decided to put my focus on them to snap out of my anxiety and depression. Dog walks, join a dog group or even sign up for some fun lessons - agility or something. Then you’ll be busy, and won’t have time to have anxiety (positive thinking). 

I know it’s easier said than done, but I’m in the same boat as you, and really trying hard to get this under control. 

• Posted

Hi Saskie,

Thanks, will look into the book - always up for more knowledge on the topic. I often go for long walks with my dog, we both prefer quiet places in the countryside and it has helped a lot. It is amazing how they can sense our moods too. I find that keeping myself busy helps to the point of having a distraction, being very busy can trigger my anxiety. Guess we're all different. 

I hope you are finding what works for you and fingers crossed that you feel better soon!

• Posted

Yeah, me too. Too much on the go, and I freak out lol get overwhelmed. I too, do the quiet dog walks to clear my mind smile Check out the book. It’s a good read to flip through. And all the best to you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.