Anxiety/depression need help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Long story short... 4 months ago I had a bad relapse and went downhill really quickly. I was on 40mg citalopram and now docs have changed me to sertraline. I've been upping dose to 150mg now been on it now 4 weeks. I still have anxiety and really bad nerves and it's like my life has just stopped. I've been off work for 4 months and I'm literally scared to do anything. 

Mornings when I wake up I have that horrible nervous energy in my stomach and my muscles are tense. I sleep ok but then I wake up early and can't get back asleep. 

I have good days but then my bad days are horrible and I feel so down/low as I think I'm getting better. 

Just doing simple things like going out for lunch or doing something makes me nervous and my anxiety picks up. 

I do pop to the shop to get a paper and fags and sometimes pop into town to see work friends for like 30 mins and do have walks here and there. 

I just want to feel better and have my life back 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm no doctor, but 150 mgs right off the bat is rather high. The starting dose you were given should have remained the same for 6 - 8 weeks before increasing. Each time you increase, you get the same start up side effects. At this point, you're best bet is to give the medicine time to fully settle into your system. Perhaps your doctor can give you something to help calm the anxiety and nervousness in the meantime.

• Posted

Hi . Totally the same at moment. I've had anxiety for years and usually manage it well nowadays. Haven't been posting here much lately though as I've had a lot of anxiety with things going on in my life and I feel the worst I've felt for years. Not due to starting meds but totally relate to waking on morning and straight away my heads racing. I'm sweating, shaking and shaking inside as well as stomach churning. I have taken more diazapam than normal as I have been so stressed but have been on it for years and when I have had to use it more often I have never felt bad like this. I feel crappy all morning and shakey and just can't stop worrying , don't have energy to do anything . I would speak to your gp even a phone call to reasure you your dose is ok and you just need to give meds more time? Hope you feel better soon, this is awful worrying about wether tomorrow we will feel a bit better??

• Posted

I started at 50mg for 4 weeks, 100 mg for 7 weeks and 150mg for 4 weeks. Just getting fed up and want life back. 
  • Posted

It's the feeling terrible and how anxious it makes us that is so unbearable. Our minds always return to worrying about wether we will ever feel better or just go mad, trick is to try and calm down and try to breath and relax, greatvpeople here with great tips , I have to admit I am the worst culprit for convincing myself the worst even though from past experience things always can be straightened out. It's just when your in the midst of it nobody can convince us of this. Lot of people here have had to wait for meds to kick in feeling terrible on the meantime, hope you feel better soon. ??

• Posted

Again as with others, I feel your pain,

I've been taking Vinlaxafin for my depression; and Garbapentin and Lorazepam for my anxiety.

I agree that mornings are the worst as I too wake up with horrible nervous energy in my stomach; along with tense muscles. I wake up extremely early, but then take my meds so I'm able to go back to sleep..

For a bit until I wake up again with horrible nervous energy.

I too have good days, yet the past days have been horrible. I can't stand driving anywhere during these time..much less stop somewhere busy. I just want to get in and get out as I feel by anxiety getting worse and worse the longer I'm out in public.

A nice quiet place is right up my alley; yet when I have to be in a place where tables are set too close..I feel like an idiot, but I have to ask for a quieter table.

In addition, I absolutely HATE grocery shopping as I can't stand people riding up my rear with their carts as I shop, so I tend to go when it's not so busy..

I no longer like driving either. I'll choose the quietest road I can find to get to my destination as I can no longer stand the highway..nor very busy streets. Someone is always climbing up my rear end while I obey the speed limit and go a bit over by about 7 mph. There's STILL always someone climbing up my bumper..increasing my anxiety further.

When my husband drives, he hollers at everyone in his way..increasing my anxiety. Thus I pop more meds and his reply is, "Is my driving making you anxious!??"

It's tough, but I really don't know how to handle all this anxiety. Even thought I'm on meds, my therapist told me that they won't always fix everything. At that point I probably need to remove myself from the situation.

Hang in there tom03008 and I hope things get better for you!!

Blessings..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.