Anxiety/depression or actually physical?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So for the past three months my anxiety has been pretty crazy. It's led me into a bit of depression. I am currently on Paxil 20 mg and Klonopin when needed. I still wake up every morning feeling pretty awful and wondering if it's something physical that's causing this. I've been to the doctor many times. I have had blood work done ,CT scans and chest x-rays. All have come back mostly normal.

My question Is has anyone ever been in a situation where there actually was something physical going on that you had to press for to find out? I really am having doubts this is all mental. I am really becoming a messrolleyes. I sleep so much. And feel not refreshed.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes, i do feel like that. Questioning whether drs have got it right or do i have something physical.  They just keep sayin anxiety and depression. The meds dont seem to help and ive tried a few. How can anyone get a further opinion.
    • Posted

I guess we just have to keep strong and have faith that what our docs are saying is correct.
  • Posted

Hi!i have to say that it is not physical. It is only anxiety ! The reason I'm saying this - I went through this myself and had it for 6 months.. The good thing is it is harmless and treatable !!! I now can't believe I was like this. I was prescribed with anti depressants which I did take for few weeks, however I then realised it is not a solution. It is just masking your problems and symptoms. In order to get cured completely you have to face it and get it under your control. Now you might say now it is uncontrollable but believe me these symptoms are caused by you doing it to yourself by worrying (you think about something and get scarred).

So instead of taking anti depressants I went to psychotherapist who explained the science behind anxiety. It is absolute normal reaction when people get scarred and they get into fight or flight response from their body: anxiety, heart beat, store stomach , something stuck in your throat , not getting enough air. All these responses are real and symptoms do really appear but it is you who is causing them by your thoughts. You get scarred of something and then here you go getting anxiety . As soon as you realise that there is nothing to worry about and it won't kill you and believe me no one ever died from panic attacks or anxiety smile then your symptoms will fade. Therefore you need to work with your thoughts ! I still occasionally start worrying about work , other things and as soon as I feel it I don't pay attention to it as I know it is natural response from your thoughts process. But in your case you worry about something let's say work or studies then you realise you are worrying and start thinking what is wrong with me? Why do I feel bad?then you get scared because you don't know why you felt bad which even increase your worry more! It is vicious cycle which you need to break .

What symptoms do you get that makes you think that you are physically ill?

• Posted

Sorry forgot to finish my sentence when I said that when I worry about something it can increase and go up to anxiety if I keep get scared of something. However the wave stops and fades away not even getting to the point of panic attacks because I m not afraid of them. Because I know how they work. They can happen to anyone if someone is absolutely scared of something. It increases your pulse on purpose so that person could run quickly from its predator smile

In your case because you are worried about your symptoms they get even worse because you basically tell your body to feel anxiety by your scary thoughts

Hopefully this info will help

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. I do agree with a lot of the things your saying. My symptoms are mostly aches and pains that kind of drove me to the point of the doctors quite a few times. I guess I'm just having a hard time shaking that it could be something else. The whole fight or flight concept I do agree with.

• Posted

You are very trusting, but when you have had this for a couple of years you realise there is something not right, psychiatric meds arent necessarily the answer and something else could be at play
    • Posted

Hi Ann

Thank you for your comment. I just feel that I've been going through health anxiety for a while and I have to take faith in what some doctors tell me after so many test. I know that's easier said than done but I don't like to drive myself into an anxious state.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.