Anxiety/depression taking over my life!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 28 years old and have been struggling with anxiety/depression for the last 6 years. It all started when my dad passed away (suddenly), since then I have major anxiety about my health and struggle with this on a daily basis.

It isn't just my health that my anxiety is about, it can be anything - such as trusting people, always fearing the worst, constantly focussing on negatives rather than positives. It has now started to affect my health - I'm always tired, have no energy, suffer from body pains and aches (pretty much daily), headaches, and so on.

Does anyone else suffer from this and does anyone have any advice on how to deal with certain situations?

Thanks

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yeah i have depression and anxiety as well its hard but sometimes you have to tell yourself you don't have anxiety kind of like tricking your mind sometimes it helps me but then sometimes it dont lol i still freak out and i still have bad anxiety symptoms i hate ANXIETY and hope one day we all can be or normal selfs again
    • Posted

Yes me too! I don't even feel like I know what "normal" is anymore - because I've suffered with it for so long! Anxiety is a horrible thing to have to deal with - hopefully we will both get over it soon. 
  • Posted

The same for me, I'm almost 29 and I've been depressed since I was a high school freshman. I developed Anxiety almost 5months ago and it's still kicking my ass. Sometimes I'll get like a 1 week or 3days break from it then it comes back.

Like you I'm always worried about my health and I'm always stressed because I'm a worrier and my life is not going in the direction I want it to.

At the end of last year I few people I've known since I was a kid died and it set me off. I became aware that tons of people are getting cancer daily and that's when my health anxiety took off.

For me the daily aches n body pain along with fatigue are the worst! I also hate being in social situations n I get burnt out on people fast. My mood swings are terrible too, this minute I'm having fun n laughing, 2minutes later I wanna cry n go be by myself.

• Posted

Its tough Katie

Speak to your doctor regarding medication its not for everyone but it may help a bit.

Consider therapy learn how to deal with anxiety and dont let it take over your life.

Keeping busy and distracting yourself help when panic comes on exercise a good diet and meditation all help.

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

Thank you Lynne. I do tend to keep myself busy - going to the gym after work - but find it difficult in the evenings when I'm at home to concentrate on programmes or listen properly. 

I have spoken with my GP this week and I am being referred for counselling. A step in the right direction hopefully. 

• Posted

I'm in a somewhat similar position.

My health anxiety started shorty after the death of a friend.

Do you have a therapist or a consellor or someone who is trained to help?

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I have recently spoken with my GP and I am being referred for counselling. I do feel quite positive about it and I am hoping it will help with my anxiety - the only downside is the waitlist is quite lengthy and I probably won't see anyone for a couple of months. 
  • Posted

Kubler-Ross wrote a book about the 5 stages of grief.  When we lose someone unexpected or suddenly, it can throw us in turmoil, causing depression, anxiety and sickness.  We must learn to deal with loss because as we age, we will lose more and more people we love and I can promise you, they would never want us to suffer this much because of their passing. See a therapist, join a grief group, get your doc to give you something mild to help you as you go forward.  This is not a pill to take forever, just until you can stand on your own again.  I have a friend with a lot of worries (that may or may not come to be...) and when we talk, l strive to make her laugh about anything and everything.  It always lifts her mood, sometimes for days.  This is not a cure, just a diversion.  Music, dancing, gardening, playing with the dog are all great diversions and it is hard to be depressed or anxious while participating in a fun activity.  Don't isolate, even tho that is one of the first things we tend to do with D and A.  Exercise, even mild forms such as stretching, can be very beneficial, also.  Talk to your dad like he is right beside you (and we do not know he's not!).  Concentrate on the good times you had, not his sickness and death.  The last thing any father would want is for his child to be so sad and sick because he passed.  Tell great stories about your dad to friends and family and laugh.  Smile when you think of him.  He was your dad way more years than he was sick so try to not dwell on that time.  You can reverse all the stuff that is happening that is making you feel unwell.  Eat healthy, nutritional foods.  Junk foods only make you feel worse and you don't need that extra burden.  Get lots of hugs, for they are very healing, too.  I'm sorry about your loss.  You will go thru various feelings because of it but his death does not mean that your life is not well worth living and enjoying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.