Anxiety/Depression Worse?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone on here had a history of anxiety and depression before they were diagnosed with FM and found that their mental symptoms were getting worse? I have had anxiety and depression my whole life and was diagnosed with PTSD around the age of 10. Since being diagnosed with FM and going through everything that I have with it, I find that my anxiety and depression are worse. I always feel on edge, and have more depressive episodes and crying periods than I have had in years. I know I have a lot of added stressors right now with the pain and my job changing, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice? And how do you handle it when you have a less than understanding group of people around you?

Thanks!

Jessica

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I know that my anxiety anndepressionnis worse than it was before fibro   This disease is debilitating and I’m not used to being needy and hate asking for help all the time. Even what used to be simple things are hard, like bending down to pick something up and needing to get on your knees which hurts big time. Not knowing if I’m going to be feeling well enough to keep social commitments worsens the mental anguish too.  I’m finally starting to accept my limitations. At least I’m trying to not beat myself up when I can’t accomplish something because of the fibro. I’m praying that m ducal science comes up with something better for pain control and hopefully one day a cure for this debilitating disease. Hang in there and just be gentle with yourself
  • Posted

Hi Knives88,

Sorry to hear you're feeling so anxious and depressed.

I understand totally as my emotions since being diagnosed with fibro in December have been bubbling away and doesn't take much to set me off in tears. I am very lucky to have a very understanding husband, daughter and other family members. Would it be worth giving the people who are less understanding some info on the chronic condition find I really is because there are a lot of people out there who think you look absolutely fine but you're feeling absolutely crap!! When you're in constant pain and with overwhelming fatigue it can be very difficult to keep your emotions in check! Keep your chin up and remember we on this forum understand what you are going through.

Take care of yourself and be true and kind to yourself.

Hugs Catherine34515

• Posted

Hi Knives88,

Sorry to hear you're feeling so anxious and depressed.

I understand totally as my emotions since being diagnosed with fibro in December have been bubbling away and doesn't take much to set me off in tears. I am very lucky to have a very understanding husband, daughter and other family members. Would it be worth giving the people who are less understanding some info on the chronic condition find I really is because there are a lot of people out there who think you look absolutely fine but you're feeling absolutely crap!! When you're in constant pain and with overwhelming fatigue it can be very difficult to keep your emotions in check! Keep your chin up and remember we on this forum understand what you are going through.

Take care of yourself and be true and kind to yourself.

Hugs Catherine34515

• Posted

Sorry some of that didn't make sense at all!! Brain playing tricks on me again!!😞. What I was trying to say is some people see you and think you look fine but on the inside you're feeling like you want to curl up in a ball somewhere quiet and try to ease the fatigue and pain. Not easy for some people to understand.

Catherine34515 😊

• Posted

Hey Catherine,

Yeah part of my problem is that my husband thinks my pain is as bad as it is simply because I don't stretch enough and he does research on my conditions and I've tried explaining to him but hes hard headed lol. I just have down moments and it gets to me. I am having to learn my limitations and trying to accept that its my new reality and not have the guilt.

*hugs*

Jessica

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.