Anxiety depression / xanax makes me sleepy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm been suffering from anxiety and depression for over a week now and I'm now taking paxil & buspar prescribed by my doctor. The medication has not kicked in yet and I was feeling horrible still, plus some side effects that was expected. So, I went back to the doctor and she gave me xanax 0.5 mg; to help with the waves of anxiety and depression and side effects.  But the problem is I'm not working now and its dead cold winter out, so I stay in. And I will take a xanax when the anxiety and depression comes on. But when I wake up after the short nap, I am smacked with fear dread and depression. I can't seem to avoid the naps in the day. If I dont take the xanax then its constant anxiety and depression. HELP

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Xanax will make you sleepy, very common side effect of a benzodiazepine med, the nap is rarely restful because it isn't natural so waking provokes intense anxiety.

My diazepam was increased 4 weeks ago and I was the same, sleepy, drifting off but waking in a terrible state, in the end I decided it wasn't worth going through and would do anything to force myself to stay awake, I even washed my hair in cold water once, feeling awful constantly was better than those scary naps.

The sleepiness does improve, the hypnotic effects of benzos tend to reduce quite quickly and hopefully you will get some relief soon when the paxil starts working and the side effects reduce, then you wont be needing the Xanax anymore.

• Posted

God bless you, that gives me hope. I had another attack today again, could not fight off the sleepiness. But got feeling a bit better with a hot shower. I'm going to try and stay awake until bedtime no matter what. Just got to wait till I start to get sleepy for the night. Again thank you very much. God bless BallaLuna. May see you again.
  • Posted

Xanax is a god send. But be careful it can get addictive. I started at .25 mg and after about two years I am sitting at .5 mg. it definitely is helpful for those really intense moments of dread and takes the edge off. It made me sleepy right away, but once you are used to it, you should be able to function pretty well on it. Naps help me tremendously as well as reading. Getting into a good book just helps you forget things. I have never taken Paxil but I was on buspar and it helped me a lot. It just takes a good two weeks or so while your body adjusts to the medication for you to feel the full effects. But if it is the right combination of medicine than you will feel so much better.
    • Posted

Thankyou, yes I have been wactching positive thinking shows while relaxing back in bed, but to do that I have to take a xanax. As far as the sleepy part if I take a xanax in the day and fall off to sleep I wake up with panic attack; so I avoid falling off to sleep by drinking coffee. Yet at night I'm able to take a xanax and enjoy a positive thinking show, then I can go on off to slleep and most of the time sleep throught the night. Yea I need to get use to medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.