Anxiety Disorder - Advice about working please...

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi hoping to get some advice from people in the same boat.  I have been dealing with Social Anxiety Disorder for about a year now but only recently realising it was this after some internet surfing of my symptoms. 3 Weeks ago I began to experience increased feelings of anxiety not necessarily related to a social situation (poss more GAD).  I am finding work difficult but was determined not to go off sick despite the anxiety.  Just over 2 weeks ago I went to my GP and was perscribed 20mg of Citapram. After the first few days I experinced quite a few side effects sickness, loss of appetite, diarrhea, weight loss, shaking, loss of concentration to name a few.  I was forced to have some time off work due to these side effects and so far have had a week off.  I need to visit the GP tomorrow if I am to have any further time off for a sick note.  I have a few worries that I could do with some advice on...

Is it better to have some time off to try and get over things without the pressures of work?

Im worried that if I have time off I will find it harder to go back?

I haven't told my workplace about my anxiety I am worried this will impact me career if they find out?

Any advice/personal exp is appreciated.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm working at the moment, but not productive. Today, had to take myself off a number of times. OK, I did nothing this afternoon, I wish I could take time off, my situation is diffcult where no one knows what I'm going through, apart from work. They have been kind, and does understand, I may not do a lot, but one things which is better than nothing. I wish I could help but not sure if I'm doing the right thing. I know it very hard, keep going, thinking of you. Take care
  • Posted

Hi I also suffer with the same but I only had 2 days off work and that was due to that tablet making me ill. Maybe you should try to talk to someone at work? You will be surprised how much help they can give. I wasn't sure about telling my manager at first but she was so understanding about it and gave me some help through work. I am currently waiting for my CBT therapy but I know that if it gets too much at work I can talk to someone. Maybe talk to your doctor to see how long the tablets should take to work?

• Posted

Emma I know how you feel, this has been me the past week and a half. Usually I can push on through and do my best to accept the symptoms and thoughts but it got a bit much this time. Now I'm worrying about when I go back and how I'm going to feel etc It's a real catch 22!

Work has been incredibly supportive.

Hmm I would tell work, there is no shame in having an anxiety condition. It's recognised under the DDA

If you are open with them perhaps you can work from home for a while etc?

I know it's hard! Good luck.

• Posted

It is a hard one to answer, from my experience the trigger for my anxiety was a noisy neighbour, so going to work was an escape for me. That said the first 2 days on meds and at work were horendous, so I had to confide in 2 people I work with. It was a load off my chest, and one of them had been there himself and his daughter is currently. 

Also it helps if you can get away, for 5 or 10 mins if need be, and some breathing technics to keep your mind focused. I found that not having anything to focus on can be harder, and allows the mind to wonder. But dont get me wrong, I was not productive at all, only covering a fraction of my normal work load.

Maybe a week or two of half days would be an option 

• Posted

Hi Emma I left my job too.I told them about my problem.The most important is your health.I started Citalopram and I have same simptoms and some extra.When I  will be better I hope i can go back, if not is not the end of the world I will find another job.Anxiety is so difficult you never know when strikes
  • Posted

I too am off work with side effects, I totally sympathise with you, I would tell work about your situation, my work were very understanding, it's good to be honest about how u are feeling. It all depends what your job is, if I were you I'd concentrate on getting better and letting the tablets balance out.
  • Posted

Hi Emma some good advice already given

1st of all I will say no job is worth your health

i may be wrong but your Dr has to put

On the sick note why your taking time off work , meaning your workplace may already know

I would find the above out 1st before I did

Anything

Regards daz

• Posted

Hiya,

everyone is unique with their anxiety etc, but as some people has said, health really is more important than work and this is from a personal Experience.

I put my job before my anxiety and it was the worst thing I done. Some days were a such struggle but I got through them, I pushed myself too much and really burnt myself out and got in such a tizz, that I had to leave. If I spent anymore time there, I just don't know what would of happened to me!

Listen to yourself carefully, as you're the only one who can make this decision.

• Posted

Hi, I agree this happened to me aswell. Sometimes you realise too late what is happening. You don't have to ignore stress and anxiety. Anxiety can lead to serious pysical problems
  • Posted

Thanks for the advice all.  I visited the GP this morning and he has changed my medication to fluoxetine so fingers crossed I don't get side effects to these as well!  I talked with him and we agreed for me to be signed off sick for a week to get myself together and hopefully get over the side effects.  My sick note states anxiety disorder so cats out of the bag anyway.  Hoping they will be understanding!! Thanks again!
  • Posted

Hi Emma, my advise is to take time off, your fuse has blown and needs fixing and you need downtime to rest and re group.

ive been off work in the past and found going back easy if it's managed and agreed between you, your employer and GP.

GP's will invariably sign you back on a phased return,and at your pace, maybe just a couple of mornings at first and building up.

The downside of being off is keeping active and getting into a routine of getting up, breakfast, doing something, relaxing, cooking, walking, reading etc.

neil 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.