Anxiety disorder or menopause?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies

This is my first post. I'm 48 and have light periods as I've had a mirena coil for 12 years. I take an SSRI for anxiety. I can't tell if my symptoms are caused by peri or anxiety disorder which I had already. In my mid 30s my skin felt hot at night. In my 40s I started sweating at night and then shivering in the morning. This year I've started feeling very tired and anxiety came back after being gone for 5 years. I'm seeing the GP this week but not sure what to ask her. Please help xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dawn. I think if you are prone to anxiety then the fluctuating hormones of perimenopause certainly make it worse.

Just tell her that your anxiety has returned and she may suggest a few herbal supplements. The list is endless. I know you must not take st. John's wort with ssri's. She might suggest increasing your dose or give you some beta blockers for the physical effects of anxiety. They don't do a lot for the mental side of things but they help with shakiness and palpitations. They really only hand out hrt as a last resort really even though the risks are very small.

The perimenopause is a very tricky time. It's a lovely time of year now. Just get outside and enjoy feeling the sun on your face and focus on staying busy with gardening or try a new hobby like tracing your family tree online. This helps me anyway. Take care

• Posted

Thanks Dee. I've always done well on my antidepressant but this year not so good. Some of it is circumstantial - empty nest approaching, family members not well and usual stuff. I have always had anxious lapses but with lots of drive inbetween. My early 40s were hard but I then improved till now. Just find I have less energy recently. I already see the GP about anxiety but have never mentioned menopause - I will see how it goes! Xx
  • Posted

It sounds very familiar to me Dawn. I have an anxiety disorder that has been well controlled up until a couple of years ago. About the age of 48 I noticed my anxiety would vary, depending on the time of the month but it has definitely reared it's ugly head. I also have family issues and have a Mum with Vascular Dementia so that stress doesn't help at all. You are not alone x
    • Posted

Thanks Patricia,

I know - loads of us feel like this. I hope that it is the perimenopause that is making us feel worse. I would rather that was causing it than being anxious because life isn't ok xx

• Posted

I'm 48 also and never had a problem with anxiety until I hit this dreaded peri. I also get the chills and the shivering. It is awful. Best of luck to you.
    • Posted

Thanks Kathryn,

I was anxious before but medication used to fix it, but now it isn't. I guess if hormones are affecting it, then that is a different issue. I wish I was a man! Take care xx

• Posted

Dear Dawn

I also have an anxiety disorder i have kept it under control unt menopause and it is back with a vengeance! X

• Posted

Hi Dawn I have had anxieties since 1995 but since going through Peri I've noticed that it has made my anxieties worse! My psychiatrist put me on 20 mg hydroxyzine and the anxieties have stopped all together. I hope you get some relief soon.
    • Posted

Hi unico,

I am similar and have had anxiety since about 1989/90. It has always peaked at stressful times - new babies, moving house etc. and now it seems to have come back due to my age. I guess I fear change? this time is is probably fear of getting old, kids not needing me...Hydroxyzine is antihistamine isnt it? That is interesting as in recent years, I have had anxiety spikes on days when the pollen is higher - particularly in May. Definitely a link. I am seeing the GP next week and I will mention this - thank you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.