Anxiety & dizziness/vertigo

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all,

I've struggled with anxiety on and off throughout my life and for the past year I've also started to get persistent dizziness and vertigo.

I get it when I am standing, sitting or lying still. It just feels like I am slightly swaying - like a bouy in the water bobbing around. 

I've been told that it's due to hyperventilation  - so I try to engage in as much slow breathing exercises as possible, done a Buteyko breathing course etc. However I can't seem to get it under control. And now the funny thing is that I almost "wait" to it to happen. I lie down and think - 'oh, when will the dizziness start!?' so I almost create the sensations myself aswell now! Argh!

Has anybody had experience with this, and what have you done to subside it?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I’ve had this before it was so scary ! I just kept forcing myself to stay up and walk around slowly and I slowly got over it it’s almost like our minds play tricks on us 
    • Posted

I know! so did you also get that slight bobbing on water type feeling too?!
  • Posted

Hi,

I have a daily struggle with dizziness/head pressure which seems to build when in enviroments where I am not comfortable. If it is of any reassurance have been to see Doctors / Neurologists and had an MRI which have all come back clean. Have been prescribed with meds but I still feel terrible.........

• Posted

I am also haveing this, trying to cope without meds , may also be something to do with menopausal stuff, what medication are you on
    • Posted

Hi mrs susan74280,

I was prescribed with Amitriptyline 10mg daily to begin with but have recently been advised to increase to 20mg since the problem still persists. It is very difficult to describe to others this issue- at it's worse my balance feels very off and my vision goes into a 'dream like' status. It's horrible and feels never-ending........

• Posted

omg that is what I am going through right now.  For me though,, I know it is my anxiety because it comes and goes.  If I am relaxed and reading, or watching TV it doesn't bother me.  But when I go out, then it may start.

• Posted

I struggled with the vertigo/dizziness symptom for months -_- I constantly felt like I was on a boat.

Over time it kind of went away on its own. I think bc I realized that when I was distracted it would go away, so obv it was just anxiety and nothing was wrong with me. After realizing that I was less scared of the dizziness, and then in return it eventually just went away. Now it's been replaced though by new "fun" anxiety symptoms like tension headaches! -_-

• Posted

My wife is suffering from constant dizziness. All test negative. Told its Vertigo, wait and see category. Looking for answers. Possible psychological, maybe nutritional imbalance. Going on more than four months now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.