Anxiety Driven Heart Problem Question

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I am a 24 year old male. I was diagnosed in 2002-2003 I think? With Mitral Valve Prolapse. I am fairly active as I have a active style job and recently began lifting weights approx 4 days a week.

For awhile now, I have had instances where my heart with just up and randomly start pounding. Not really skipping any beats except for occasionally. I've also kind of gotten lightheaded but I've never passed out or had any chest pain or any other severe symptoms.

I am also very prone to health anxiety so I dont know if what I'm feeling is partially due to that or the mitral valve issue or if I have another heart problem all together.

I am under a doctor's care and have visited him last week at which he placed a heart monitor on me for a period of 7 days (currently on the 5th day) and then I have an appointment for a ultrasound of my heart 2 days after the monitor comes off.

Should I be concerned?? I am very scared and am asking for any help the forum can provide. I appreciate it, thank yoh!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sounds as though your Dr is checking you out pretty carefully, with both halter monitor and Echo, my husband has both of those on a regular basis he has serious heart failure, or dialated cardiomyopathy, and his valves in reasonable condition, so cannot comment on your valves.

?husband has taken cardiologists advice, at all times, we report any changes, I HOPE you have told him about your weightlifting, as for some conditions may not be a good idea.

?Keeping fit is important, as is keeping your weight under control, but you MUST NOT overdo it, we learnt this at rehab clinic which was brilliant for him in transitioning fro being very active carpenter/builder to somebody who wasn't expected to live for very long as his condition was so serious.

?Here we are 7 years later, a little bit toooo heavy but on diet since last xmas, and has lost 5 kilos so far, so progress being made.

?he mows lawns, keeps bees, grows most of our own vegetables and fruit, fixes all the neighbours lawnmowers and whipper snipers, just does not know how to stop, goes all day and every day, but at the same time paces himself, he has a chair in his workshop he can sit on, if he gets breathless, has afternoon 2 hours rest every day, lays down on bed and just passes out, Dr's amazed just how well and busy he is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.