Anxiety driving me bonkers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I am new to the site and my doctor told me to stay away.. lol anyway I'm here as I have found this site to be really supportive. I have had anxiety all my adult life and had a few meds over the years which didn't work out for me. The last two years have been really stressful with having two you kids, buying a house, money worries and so on. Anyway a week ago I went to my gp as the anxiety was really ruining me. I freak out when driving to far from home, feel disorientated most of the day, jump at the least noise,every niggle I get I think it's a stroke and the list goes on. So my doc gave me 25 mg of Sertaline and so far no bad side effects but hate knowING something is controlling me. I do feel breathing and read books but wanted to hear others experiences as you know how lonely this illness can be. Thankyou. X

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jay...First things first: give yourselff a break ... Literally! smile Forget the notion that something is "rulling" you and just cross fingers and hope it works fast so you can start regaining control of your life. Because right now you are not in control anyway, with or without drugs. The medication you are given has a task: to even out your responses, rebalance your brain chemistry and help your body release some tension so that YOU can be in a position to heal yourself: to rewrite your brain's manual on how to respond to stress smile It is all YOU. The medicine is just a crutch. So be grateful you live in a time and place where you can get help from medicine and not suffer alone for good. smile Trust your doctor, be positive. Wishing you a fast recovery!

PS your doctor has reasonable fears that people may confuse you more than you already are this is why he prefers noone to interfere in your therapy. You need to trust him 100%. He is the one who will guide your recovery. Us here, we can just sympathize and cheer eachother on or suffer together. Tell your doc WE here are mostly aware of that smile It is a lonely road. Sometimes speaking to neutral people going through similar situations can really take a load off. Welcome to the forums smile

• Posted

Such wonderful advice and comments purple. Times like this we do feel lonely even when we are not.. its a terrible illness and I'm determined to manage this better so I can enjoy life.

• Posted

The "experiences " you have/feel are common with anxiety disorder so rest assured on that point. Unpleasant as these symptoms are you must not let your imagination run away with you, thinking that you are having or going to have some life-threatening illness.

Feeling disorientated is you trying to escape what is happening to you and many people with anxiety disorder experience that so don't panic! Literally, don't panic because that will make you feel worse. Awful as the feeling is accept it's there and carry on  with your day as best  you can. Don't try to fight it and it will fade away

Freaking out when driving too far away from home is first stage agoraphobia and it is vital that you never turn back and go home . I know that dealing with symptoms is far easier when in the safe sanctuary of your own home,But your symptoms are not "where you are nor what you're doing at the time " when they manifest. You carry them with you wherever you might be.

"Running" away is the worst thing you can do so please don't ever contemplate it, ever.

Medication is not controlling you. Get that idea right out of your head. It is merely a tool to help you heal, just as any medication is implemented for numerous ills and ailments.

I appreciate that your doctor told you to keep away. Googling is abhorrent to many in the medical profession and for good reason.  A qualified physician is required for a true diagnosis and one can literally terrify one's self by googling symptoms. Googlers latch onto the worst case scenario and imagine they are at deaths door.

Having said that the time one is alloted at the doctors is limited and anxiety disorder sufferers need reassurance almost on a daily basis. This site will provide the means to talk over your fears and worries and the site members will share their own experiences and their coping methods which will be invaluable to you.

Strength in numbers smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.