anxiety due to being robbed at my job

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi my name is melissa and I'm 25 years old I was robbed at my job a couple of months ago. I worked 3rd shift and about 40 mins after I clocked in a man in black came to me and asked for change when I opened up the register he pulled out a gun and told me to give him all of the money or he would kill me. My manager wasn't around at the time and the security guard was in the back. I have never been so scared in my life! I gave him the money and automatically called my manager after he left. I felt like I couldn't breath, I heard my heart beating so loudly. We called the police and all I could do was shake and cry. After they were done asking the same questions over and over again I was able to go home. I couldn't sleep and when my husband had to go to work I panicked and started to sob. I couldn't be left alone, if I was i started to have a panic attack and cry. I've went to my doctor and they prescribed me depression pills and anxiety pills. It has been a couple of months since the robbery but I'm different. I hate being crowded. If there is alot of people in my house I have panic attacks and I have a big family. This thanksgiving I had all of my family over and I hated it. I wanted them to leave right away. If my husband and I go out to a friends or to the store I want to come home right away. I don't have nightmares anymore which is a good thing but I still have anxiety and I'm so angry at the littlest things. I have changed since being robbed at my job and my worst fear is that the man who did it knows where I live since he wasn't caught. That I would see him on the street. I was switched off 3rd shift and I'm on 1st but I hate the register still. If I see a man that looks like him I freak out! What is wrong with me? I had my husband put in a security alarm, we got a dog. What can I do to stop this??!! I want to be my cheerful self again, not this person that I don't recognize! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melissa. I'm so sorry to hear about your horrible experience. It sounds like you may be suffering from post traumatic stress. Have you had any counselling. I think it would be very helpful. There's nothing wrong with you. What happened was genuinely frightening and anyone would be affected by it. Speak to your doctor about counselling. You need to work through these feelings and you will feel much better again. I'm glad you came to the forum. I find it very helpful. So many caring people that understand what we're going through. Take care. X
  • Posted

Hi Melissa, I am so sorry to hear of your experience it must of been shocking for you. I think you may have Post trumatic stress disorder. Please see your GP. There is Counselling that will help you, you really need to talk about this to someone. Counsellng is non judgemental. Are you getting any support from your employer? Hope you can get through this. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Melissa, that was a horrifying experience for you abd the symptoms you are experiencing do sound like PTS which manifests itself in depression, anxiety and the thoughts and feelings you are experiencing.

Medication will help you as will councelling which you need, if your GP is unable to arrange it quickly for you then try Victim Support and ask for help.

Reaching out for help will help you get through this.

The scum bag who has done this will not visit your home simply because it doesn't appear to be his modus operandi and people like this tend not to do that as it would link them to the original crime in a very "personal" way but again victim support will be able to help you with this further.

You will feel better and I hope soon. Neil 

• Posted

Hi Aspinan, i forgot about victim support, i used to volunteer for them years ago. They do a wonderful job, they can listen, thou they are not counsellors. It's a free service to. So hopefully Melissa will take your advice. 

Elizabeth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.