Anxiety, dying what is it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hey, so i moved house on tuesday 2 hours away from where i lived before and been so sad for months as im agoraphobic. well since ive got here ive had times i feel like i cant feel my body like im numb. when i close my eyes it feels like im not there like ive disappeared? and it feels like im not sat in my bed and then other times i feel like im trapped in a box and need to escape. this is causing panic after panic thinking that any sudden second im just going to pass away. i generally cant cope ive spoke to drs and crisis team the dont seem to help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry you are going through this. You have had a change in your life through the move and are feeling sad and alone. I know how that feels because I did the same thing. Those bodily sensations you are feeling are most likely the result of the stress you are going through and the sadness.

Anxiety and stress can cause all sorts of physical sensations which are scary and uncomfortable, but they will not hurt you. I’ve had every physical sensation you can think of from numbness, to floaters in my eyes, weakness, ringing in my ears, feeling as though I wasn’t fully here., And on and on. No doctor could find anything wrong.

Counseling does help me. At least it’s somebody I can vent to. I do that online virtually so that might be an idea for you, so you don’t have to go anywhere.

you are not going to die. Your body is just reacting to all the stress you are going through. What helped me was first of all not over reacting to the bodily sensations. Because then they got worse. One of the reasons you were feeling like you’re not here is because your brain is trying to protect you from the stress, so it’s sort of blocks things out. I’ve had that many times. It’s not harmful at all. But if you could relax your mind as much as possible, it would be very helpful.

get on YouTube and listen to some relaxing meditations for anxiety. They are very helpful. I like listening to someone called Joanne asmr she has the most soothing voice ever! Several videos.

remember that everything is temporary. You’re not going to feel this way forever. Message me anytime. Take care.

• Posted

Hello,

I'm a retired medical professional from the U.S. and I'll do what I can to try and get you headed in the right direction. I do need to ask some questions in order to provide you with the most informative response.

The sensations you describe as numbness, the feeling that you're not present or have disappeared or not seated in your bed despite doing so are all examples of depersonalization/de-realization. The sensations are the result of disturbance to your senses and the subsequent signals being sent to specific areas of the brain. These feelings are extremely common and do not actually pose a threat to your health. In other words, you are not going to "suddenly pass away." Your wayward beliefs as a consequence of anxiety have resulted in a runaway train of sorts where there is nothing for you to grasp onto in order to feel safe from harm. You're going to be just fine.

If you'd care to reply with certain information, I'd like to know your age. I'd like to know whether you're actually experiencing repeated panic attacks and if so, please describe how they evolve in your instance, how long they last, what the time-frame is between each attack and how you feel after conclusion of the events. Please list all medications, if any, presently being taken, to include the dosage for each. Please tell me why you moved to a different location and whether there are any events in your life presently causing you significant distress such as loss of a loved one, breakup of a significant relationship, etc.

I'll be able to provide you with a far more detailed response once I have more information should you care to provide it, but generally I can tell you that Panic Disorder generally originates from significant separation anxiety as a young child and persists into adulthood in a rather cyclic fashion. While this is not the exclusive cause, it is quite common. Also, if there is neurotransmitter imbalance associated with GABA, or gamma-aminobutyric acid, then the risk of panic events is increased. Agoraphobia is also quite common in Panic Disorder and results from the fear of feeling helpless in public places and a compelling need to seek the safety of home. This is essentially the consequence of the fight-or-flight response and while symptoms associated with panic events are frightening, in my 40 years of practice I never once observed or read of a single account where someone with Panic Disorder experienced an actual life-threatening or fatal event. Again, not even one instance. So rest assured that you are in no such danger.

Again, you're going to be fine. Please feel free to reply with the information requested if you wish to do so and I'll respond as soon as time permits.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.