Anxiety from being in the dark

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm quite new to this whole thing and I feel like I could really benefit from people's opinions and experiences. 

I'm 21 and I can't be in the dark. I have suffered with anxiety for around 8 years and it started in school. I just couldn't get myself together and had a panic attack. They lasted about 6 months before I got them under control. Then after that I didn't really suffer from it. Just a bit of social anxiety here and there but nothing too out of the ordinary. I have tried drinking peppermint tea to calm my nerves as I heard it worked but they didn't really do much. Then about 5 months ago, me and my fiancé were about to go to sleep when this wave of anxiety and nervousness came over me. I became hyper aware of all my surroundings and started to feel like I wasn't in control and the only way I could get to sleep was with some form of light. I am constantly tired and can't be alone in a dark room. I feel like a child and I'm embarrassed about it. I haven't been to the doctors about this because I feel that they'll just tell me to get a grip because I'm an adult. I've resorted to buying a night light and using that at night. I can't think why this is happening now. 

Anyone's answers or questions are welcome as I'm at a total loss on what is happening or what I can do to resolve this. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi -go the docs and if u don't get help from one go + see another one.

until 6 weeks ago i was fine then for some reason i my anxiety went thro the roof + been off wk ever since-i cld not understand it + still don't but went to docs + after several visits was put on sertraline.it has made me ill for several wks but after 3.75 wks i feel like a human again.as per my doc anxiety is very prevalent-much more so than folk realise.SO GET TO THE DOCS ASAP

• Posted

With sertraline what do you mean they nade you ill as in what way? If its side efdects what was they please as I think my doctor is putting ne on them. X
  • Posted

Go to doctors. You are engaged and a lot of things are probably changing in your life that is stressfull. Diffrent changes cause more stress and that can make anxiety through the roof and surface in your life. Go to doctor and tell them you want anciety medicine and you will be feeling normal in 2 and a half weeks. Each day in medication feels better and better. I finally feel human again and I am up at 6 in the morning in a dark room that u actually feel comfortable in. My medication is awsome.
    • Posted

Only awake because of a crying baby. But she's u going back to sleep now.
    • Posted

Thankyou. I think the reason why I'm afraid about going to the doctors is because I've had a bad experience before with them. I've recently changed doctors but I think my negative experience has just put me off. But I think now I'll make an appointment smile 
  • Posted

I am now 63 and after all that has gone on in my life physical, mental and sexual abuse I too cannot sleep in a darken room but my light has to be subtle otherwise it keeps me awake despite taking zopiclone to help me get over to sleep on that subject zopiclone is not a knocker outer but it sure keeps you under for a long time
  • Posted

what event do you think triggered this fear of the dark?

Richard

• Posted

I honestly don't know. I can't remember from about 8 and under. My memories are blank from before then. I just always remember having a fear of the dark. 
    • Posted

the event that must have triggered a psycological fear of the dark was when we had visitors say from the cruelty officers I was locked in the coal hole with fear of my life if I made a noise it was only my grandmother who dared to open the coal hole was I eventually discovered but even as I entered into adulthood I still had nightmares where I would end up screaming don't shut the door moma.  And I still do to this day but not to ferocious now.
  • Posted

well maybe you both ie kerrie and peter would benefit from some cbt or hypnosis

Richard

• Posted

tried CBT it is a good thing if it carries on but in my case they psycologist comitted suiced and I kid you not it kinda have some lasting effect on me
  • Posted

maybe the psychologist could not cope with his life so I would not take it personally.  We are all human after all.  I would give it another go Peter.

Richard

• Posted

Yes Richard I must agree with you there we are human and we all fall short of falabities in the end.  That course of CBT was quite some time ago now my life has got back on some track at last apart from the odd nightmare but I feel I will still be having these until I shift my mortal coil.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.