Anxiety/GAD

Posted , 5 users are following.

Over the past 4 or 5 years I believe I have developed Generalized Anxiety Disorder and possibly a slight case of OCD. Over the past year I have noticed my symptoms have become increasingly worse. Practically everyday I am worried about something and I will be worrying about it/overthinking it for hours and hours. I also have noticed that it almost comes in waves. Like I will randomly start to worry about a particular thing that has already taken place in the past (such as social situation, a fear of mine, or just something that has to do with me) and I will start to dwell on it. I become very anxious and I will constantly think about this particular thing in my head and I'll continuously have to repeat things in my mind to try and manage my worries (it never works though). Anyways, this particular worry of mine will bother me for days, even weeks, then I'll randomly get over it and something else will begin to bother me. It's like a vicious cycle. Right when I get over what had previously bothered me, something else will just pop up into my head and I'll begin to worry about it and think about every possible negative outcome. If you have anxiety, do you experience something similar? Do you have any tips on how to deal with this? I am also willing to get professional help if that seems like the best option. Thanks for all answers! (Sorry the post was so long hahaha)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think your next step is to go to your doctor for a diagnosis, so you know for certain what you are dealing with. It doe sound like commom anxiety symptoms. We read these things hundreds of times a week.

It does sound like your doctor may prescribe meds to help. That make all the difference to me. Meds calmed me enough that I could think clearly enough to begin to take my life back. This forum has helped me tremendously.

Scroll through other anxiety discussions here....it will help you a great deal, and show you that you are not alone, and that there is help. Hugs to you.

• Posted

Hi c1 

the best advice I can give you is to have CBT this is cognitive behavioral therapy.

I am exactly the same as you and reading it is my autobiography of my life but I have had three sessions now I'm having my fourth today  its about changing the way you thinking and addressing the negative thoughts. its like we are always looking for something to worry about because if we worry about it we are looking at the worst outcome so when it doesn't happen we can tell ourselves "see I worried and it didn't happen in the worst case scenario" I have been there so many times I know it will take time but I work at it every day, and it is starting to work CBT certainly works for me and i have been like your self since childhood, have a look into it and see what you think, look at the worry is it a current worry or a potential one ie if I worry about this thing will it then lead on to this try and take a negative and see a positive for it, its hard at first but i promise you it does start to work this forum is excellent for advice because we all go through the same things at varying degrees. I hope you get the help you need

• Posted

Sorry about Lanie222. occasionally a strange person gets through. Ignore, please.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.