Anxiety getting much worse by the day... :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey all,

I am a 28 year old male and like all of you here on this forum i have very bad anxiety. I have been getting these following symptoms lately, although some of these issues having been happening several years now, pain in chest, sharp head pains, pain down both sides of body, dizzyness (feeling like i am going to faint, especially in supermarkets or shopping malls where there are lots of people) ringing in ears, floaters in eyes, palpatations, etc and my anxiety issues are making me believe they are serious and potentially life threatening symptoms although i am sure/hope it is just my anxiety and although the pains i get are most certainly real they are most likely being exaggerated and made to appear like there are bigger issues (oncoming heart attack, ect,) due to my anxiety/state of mind.

I have been taking anti-depressants for about 10 years now, i am currently on mertazapine. I feel the medication is not working at all. I may as well not be taking it. I do think that all my symptoms are due to anxiety and nothing worse, and i am sure if i were to see a doctor about these issues he would confirm this, but i do have occassions where i doubt this and start panicking thinking i have major health issues, and i find myself constantly worrying about having a heart attack or brain aneurysm. It's a terrible feeling.

My question to anyone who is going through this or has been through this but no longer has anxiety/depression, has there been anything at all that you have previously tried with success or that you are currently doing/using that is taking away these anxiety issues? I am willing to try absolutely anything to help myself, as i am well and truly sick of feeling this way and it is ruining my quality of life. I am a 28 year old male, turning 29 very soon and missing out on my prime years in life due to my massive anxiety issues and i desperately need to find a way to stop my anxiety, and to be able to live my life like i deserve to without having these stupid anxiety issues holding me back. I appreciate any feedback, and if you wish to private message me you are most welcome to.

Mjay

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Firstly mirtazapine tends to poop out it did for me after 6 years

So go back to you doc and get that sorted.

With anxiety the fight or flight mechanism is our bodies is broken and we think we are in danger when we are not hence you think you are ill.

Get a full medical to make sure you are ok and if this is all clear then its anxiety.

With a new AD and therapy you should be able to deal with it.

I dont think it ever goes away but you learn how to deal with it

Stay strongcool

• Posted

Thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely be asking the doctor about what you said regarding the Mertazapine losing effect after a few years of taking it. That might well be the problem or part of it, and if so i will change my meds. I will certainly consider therapy, as this is majorily effecting my life and seems to be getting much worse by the day. I try to stay strong, and most of the time i certainly do control it, and for the most part i try not to let it effect my life to much, but there are definitely days where my anxiety/depression are really bad and no matter how strong i may be i just cannot control it.

It is getting worse the older i get (anxiety), and there's only so much suffering one can take before you decide enough is enough. I hope i never get to this stage, and i just really do hope i can get the help i need asap so i can get on with my life and start enjoying it for once.

If anyone is reading these posts and wants to chat with me about their similar feelings/experiences i am happy to chat with you. Sometimes it helps talking to people who are going through similar things so feel free to private message me if anyone wants to talk... smile

• Posted

The problem with longer term anxiety is that meds may well help with the symptoms, they can't resolve the root cause,they simply aren't designed to. Therapy at least helps to focus on and help resolve the reason for the anxiety, its a good thing to try
  • Posted

hi mjay firstly i have had cronic anxiety what you should do is jounal every day and start to learn about anxiety this is the first step to getting better when you fear anxiety symptons they appear 100 times worse you must start not to fear the fear this takes practice and also start to love yourself change your diet embrace anxiety its part of you . mjay you can work together with your anxiety when you start to come to terms with your anxietylife will get better go for it its hard work but worth it and remember the symptoms of anxiety will not kill you
  • Posted

what you seem to have is health anxiety, which is a symptom of anxiety in general.  quite simply if the meds arent working, then dont take them - look for therapy insteas. never ever google symptoms and try to not look for treatment for the things you imagine you have - its a never ending cycle
    • Posted

I fully agree with you on the never search google for symptoms, it makes you feel so much worse when searching for headache problems only for it to suggest you might have a brain tumor... That just makes someone with anxiety issues 10x worse! I will look into therapy, i think thats potentially a good idea and something i haven't explored before. I've got nothing to lose by trying it.
  • Posted

The stress from anxiety is horrible, but I don't think you should worry about a heart attack or brain aneurysm.  This is completely understandable thinking you may have other health issues, but don't dwell on it because it's misplaced with your anxious thoughts.

I took Sertraline (Zoloft) for anxiety and it seemed to help a lot.  It may take 2-4 weeks to feel the benefits.

Start exercising too - anything, walking, running, skipping rope.  My friend has one of those boxing pads hung up in the garage and pounds away at it for relief.

Feel better soon.

• Posted

I appreciate your advice and i will get out there and start walking for atleast half an hour each day and slowly increase it, and see how that works out... smile

My goal is to get back into weights training and get my fitness back up so i feel better about myself and my body, but it's hard to get motivation when your feeling this way!

• Posted

Hi Mjay I'm sorry you are feeling so bad, I totally get it. I also have bad health anxiety and it's awful. First of all like other people have said visit your DR, tell them how you feel and I would also say ask about therapy. For lots of different reasons I can't tolerate AD, bad reactions etc... so I have gone down the therapy route, it is hard work but totally worth it. Exercise is good even if you just start in the house, keeping your mind accupied with different projects. You can't force it but sometimes when I am doing something and concentrating I suddenly realise I haven't had anxiety and I know it's possible to not have it constantly. It is awful when you are in the grip of it but you have to keep going. I had a few sessions of hypnotherapy with a clinical hypnotherapist and that also helped. Baby steps it's all baby steps and feel proud of yourself for keeping going you are doing so well even if it doesn't feel like it now. Stay strong.cheesygrin
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your kind words! I certainly have come along way in some respects considering all that i have been through in life, but the anxiety issues is definitely a set back, but i am sure i will get through it.

Excercise will be first on my list to try. I will do a bit of walking first and progress from there.

Your right about occupying the mind. The worst thing one can do is dwell on the negatives and have your mind racing with bad thoughts which makes you much, much worse. Trying to remain positive always helps, and my pschologist used to always tell me to try breathing techniques and that does help, especially as a remedy during a panic attack.

I will see the doctor as soon as i can, and see what his recommendations are regarding my meds, and i will go from there. I personally don't mind taking meds, but these pills just don't seem to be working like they used to so maybe i could try different ones? As you say though, baby steps is the key and any progress is good progress. Cheers for the advice! smile

• Posted

I do simpovize with you I suffer bad to I'm on pregabalin 50mg they don't work never I sit crying I l so take larazapam it helps waiting to get some today I also take 7.5mg zoplclone which i take to get to sleep i feel some times I'm going crazy if been under mental health that don't help thing of been hypnotized see if that helps with my anxity and deppesion

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.